Disadvantages to using slicks ?

KrisR

I just got my GN, and I'm looking forward to some great times at the strip this year. I've dragraced many other cars, but never this car (never anything quicker than 14-flat). I'm thinking I might get my first set of real slicks.

I've never used true slicks on anything. I always figured I'd break something (most of my cars have been sticks), and I always drive the car to the track (then change tires if necessary). Is that also the case with Turbo Buicks? How quick can I go with a stock rearend (freshly rebuilt factory posi) using slicks before breakage occurs? sssume high-boost launches, tacky track, etc.

I plan on eventually running low 12s with mine. Will I break parts on a high-boost launch with 8-10" slicks?

Also, what's the best size for a mid/low-12 car? 26" or 28", 8" or 9 or 10 wide?

Thanks for any info.

Kris

You'r not going to break your rear in the 12's unless something was already wrong, mine hasn't broke yet.

Lots of people going 10's on them.

I run the Hoosier QTP's street slicks 27x10.5x15's on the GN don't rub ,even on the street.

Made proably 20 or so 100+ mile trips on them also(not that you should:) ) with no problems.

Just don't get caught in the rain:eek: , you'll die!

These cars are pretty much bulletproof in the low 12 area. THe rear is safe until you are in the 1.5 second 60 fts. Slicks aren't even really needed if that's all the faster you want to run.

275/60 drag radials will run low 12's all day on a very mildly modified TR. The stock turbo will go 112 mph. Even with a 1.8 60ft (EASY with DRs) you are looking at low to mid 12's nearly stock.

Sounds good.

I have a pair of G60-15 McCreary dirt tires that I will try first.

.........in 4 months, that is........:(

Kris

One of the local GN owners quit using his slicks & is now running Nittos all the time.

He was in the low 11s with the slicks & was getting thrown off the track (no roll cage). The Nittos are currently a best of 12.01 & he doesn't have to drag the slicks to the track & change them there - he just drives to the track, goes thru tech, & runs.

You will smoke the trans internals before you do the rearend. 12 sec cars break trans parts too. Just depends on luck and launch boost. Been there done that
Mitch

You can run low 12's on some good street tires. Make sure your posi is working good, drop the air pressure a little, put an air bag on the passenger side, and step on the gas. You may have to leave a little soft, (less than 20# launches), but you should do fine. I always bring my drag radials to the track, but have gotten many many many 12.1s on little tiny tires. (195s) If all else fails, get some drag radials. you can drive to the track, race and drive home. If you run the BFG drag radials, you are going to want another set of tires for street use, because they don't last all that long, but at least you can change them at your leisure, and not have to waste valuable racing time to do it.

Brian

Originally posted by KrisR

Also, what's the best size for a mid/low-12 car? 26" or 28", 8" or 9 or 10 wide?

28 will hurt your bottom end. You won't want those until you get deep into the 12s/11s.

My opinion.

Originally posted by KrisR
Sounds good.

I have a pair of G60-15 McCreary dirt tires that I will try first.

.........in 4 months, that is........:(

Kris

After some frustration trying to get my BFG DRs (275/60) to hook, I put QTP 27-11.5"-15s on my GN. They're on 15x8 Draglites w/ 3.5" BS. No rubbing. I bought them after my first experience with slicks at the track - I was hooked (pun intended). I haven't had them to the track yet, but they're really sticky.

I ran a set of McCreary G60s when I first got my GN. I could run 1.80x with them on a good day. They were more consistent than the DRs were.

If you'll be driving the car regularly on the street, get a set of Nittos or BFG DRs.

Jim

Re: Re: Disadvantages to using slicks ?

Originally posted by wagon

28 will hurt your bottom end. You won't want those until you get deep into the 12s/11s.

My opinion.
I have heard that argument also, but I run 28x9 MT Drags on stock T wheels and bone stock susupension with air bags in the rear springs. They may not be quite 28", but don't slow my mostly stock car at all. Bigger contact patch for high boost launch. Build a few lb boost, mash gas, and quickly release brake to flash the converter and you could see some 1.7s. See sig and website for more info.

I've got a couple of Q's on this topic if you guys don't mind me butting in. What is required, tech inspection wise, to run slicks? I've heard driveshaft loop, but my car has a metal crossmember across the diveshaft aft of the front u-joint. I have a T-top car so how fast before a roll cage is nesc? Lastly how much difference is there between actual slicks and DRs? I've seen some DRs that you can hardly see the tread so is it the sidewall that makes the difference?

Thanks in advance,
ADAM

The track is going to require a little more than that thin metal strip. You want a good driveshaft loop, that completey encircles the driveshaft. It is definately necessary. You don't want to do a pole vault at 100mph. Slicks are just that. Slick. No tread. Drag radials have enough tread to satisfy the DOT. Some drag radials have very shallow tread, and after they wear out a little, look just like slicks up close.
Cage? Depends on the track. Some require it at 11.5, and some 12.0 and faster.

Brian

i was thinking about getting some slicks or et streets for mine next season, or i guess its this upcoming season now, just to be sure i'm not slipping any, a little over kill, i'm only looking for a low 13 high 12. thats pushing it on my street tires.

i was origionally planing on getting a set of micky thompson et streets untill i saw the price, and saw that people are running 's on drag radials. summit has some 235/60(65?)/15 bfg drag radials for $132 last i checked. i don't think you could go wrong for that price and that good of a tire. next problem is finding a set of light weight wheels to mount them on, i realy don't want to use a heavy gn wheel i have sitting around. but anyways, thats probably your best bang for the buck.