Disc brake (up grade)

steveX

Banned
I am looking for the biggest front and rear disc brake setup for my 67 regal (9" moser rear). I will like to use a system where i can buy replace brake pads at the part store. I will like to go with a 13" up front and a 12" in the rear. I was thing maybe a corvette setup. have any body done such a upgrade? I know I can up grade the corvette system to bigger rotor and better caliper.

any idea or help?

thanks

I am pretty sure you meant to say 87' Regal. May not get any responses cause of that.

What size/style rims are you planning to use?

LOL..thank you for the correction.

I plan on using 17" rims in the street. I did a search and found some very good info on the 1LE front brake up-grade http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/ls1reardisc.shtml

and i found another one on the Ls1 rear brake upgrade http://members.fbody.com/86firebird/ls1/ls1brakes.htm

but i will like to know if anybody had any success with this setup. I can get all the part pretty cheap. I can get the complete rear setup off a 99 TA ($100) and i can get the front brake off a 96 caprice (police package) for $150.00. I am thinking the 99 TA and the 96 caprice has the same wheel bolt pattern. am i correct?

once i install the up grade brake i can then go ahead and order bigger rotor for the front and rear.

let me know what you guys think, and yes it is a 1987 turbo regal i am doing the brake up grade on.:D

Make sure you get the backing plates w/ the '99TA rear. The earlier Caprices had a 5"x5 bolt pattern which is why you have to use the 1LE rotors instead of the Caprice rotors. I don't know about the newer ones. I'm going to a yard on Saturday, I'll measure the bolt patterns there. I know for a fact the '99TA has a 4.75"x5 bolt pattern.

Later,

Steve.

I was think about the bolt pattern for the wheels. I don`t want to have different size on the front and rear. i don`t think i am going to make it to the junk yard today, but i call them and payed for the 99 TA rear brake (complete) with the backing plate, and the E-brake cable. Let me know what you found for the front brake. I just order the tubular upper control arm for the regal.

Check this article.
Hot Rod's Project "G Force"
In addition to the suspension upgrades, Hot Rod put bigger wheels and tires on a Monte Carlo, along with Baer brakes front and rear. Fronts are 13, rears are 12. There are cheaper ways to get it done, but it will at least give you an idea of what is possible, and how well it can work.

SteveX,

All the Caprices in the yard were of '91-'92 Vintage. I thought they were newer, but guessed wrong. If I stumble onto an newer one, I'll measure the bolt pattern for you.

A quicker way might be to check out Imalass.com and ask the question there. I think they have a Caprice forum.

Later,

Steve.

RE17, i am pretty sure the 96 caprice and the 99 TA has the same wheel bolt pattern. I have a 96 caprice (police package). i picked up the rear disc setup from a 99 trans am (TA) from $100.00 (look sweet),i was told the the front brake from the caprice (NYC cab impalla ss (95-96) ) will work. i might be going to the junkyard next week for the front brake. i have also locate the rear and front disc (Aftermarket drill and slot) i plan on replacing the front caliper with a 4 piston unit and the rear with a dual piston caliper. my car is still in the restoration process, plus a have tons of other cars to work on. I am also waiting for a 3" DP, Racegate, and complete 3" exhaust system from Jack cotton (great guy). Once i start the brake project i will take pic and post them. let meknoe what you guys found and i will do the same.
:)

:D

I just finish the rear disc brake conversion....SWEET.

i was the rear disc from a 99 T/A (WS6). i also bought the front spindle with all brake assembly. I will try to install the LS1 front brake when i am finish detailing the engine compartment and frame.

I smash my PC the other day, so i am currently PCless...LOL.
i was able to save the hard drive (picture). when i am finish building a pentium 4 3.4. i will post picture. car is comming along very nice.