Does anyone here live near St. Louis?

brn agn

I just purchased an 89 TTA and I am having some idle problems. I was just wondering if there was anyone here who lived close to STL. I'm new to the TR scene and could use some advice on tuning and diagnosing. Thanks!

I'm in Washington, MO...about 40 miles West of St. Louis. Do you ever run at Gateway? I used to run an 87 IROC there on Test and Tune nights.

I haven't been there in several years.I know a couple of good guys from the Taylorville area that run there some.I run at Benton IL.most of the time.
I did get a card from a guy over your way several years ago.I don't know much about him or if he is still in around.
WM. F. Diekmann (314) 677-1319

i live here in granite city illinois i'm about 15 min near st louis and 10 min away from gateway international raceway see ya Rob

i live in red bud illinois, south of stl, but i dont know enough to help you, i'm looking for help myself

karkid,

It is good to hear that there are some other turbo buick guys in the area...even if we don't know everything there is to know about our cars :) Hopefully, I can learn how to tune this turbo car and take it to Gateway later this Fall. What is your car like? Later.

There are a few others I have ran into from the area over the years.There is a guy named Chester something from Centralia that races his GN some.Leroy Ingersoll (sp?) from Herrin, Buddy's brother, has a GN and used to race it some.I have also heard about a nice GN from Metropolis makeing the car shows.

Are any of you guys going up to us 41 next month for the Buick clubs race and show?

Originally posted by Brad T
There are a few others I have ran into from the area over the years.There is a guy named Chester something from Centralia that races his GN some.Leroy Ingersoll (sp?) from Herrin, Buddy's brother, has a GN and used to race it some.I have also heard about a nice GN from Metropolis makeing the car shows.

Are any of you guys going up to us 41 next month for the Buick clubs race and show?
I'm thinking about going as soon as i get my car figured out

Brad T

Our car has a rough idle. Re-setting the IAC and adjusting the TPS didn't seem to help. Sometimes the car will stumble a little when accelerating, but once the boost builds, it smooths out. I did hook a timing light up to each individual spark plug wire. Some of the wires had a definite "miss" as I was watching the light. I'm putting new spark plugs and spark plug wires on tonight. I know it needs them anyway. If that fixes the problem, then that is great! I'm hoping it is not the ignition module or coil pack, but I guess it isn't that big of a deal if it is. I know some of the problem is the MAF. Both of the screens are gone and it acts really funny when I first start it. When I bought the car, the owner gave me a NAPA brand MAF. With that one installed, it runs smoother, but it feels like there is a power loss (it has a smaller inside diameter than the AC Delco unit). I'll let you guys know if the plugs/wires help. Later.

No luck...

Hey guys,

I just finished installing the plugs and plug wires. It starts much easier, but the rough idle is still there. I hooked the timing light back up to the wires and you can still see the miss in the wires. It seems like it is worse on the right hand cylinders (it was like that before the new plug wires too). I guess I will buy an ignition module next...or do you think I should try a new coil pack? I'm going to post this on the Tech board too. Later.

I wish you were closer to me.I have a caspers coil/moduel tester and spare coil and moduel.It shouldn't make any difference from left to right on the plug wires.Each coil fires a one plug on each side.How did the plugs look when you took them out?Did they look black like it had been running to rich?Does it make any difference if the car is warm or cold ?

All of the plugs looked good...nice even tan color...except the one on cylinder #6. It looked like it was getting a lot of fuel. I think that injector may be leaking because I noticed that it doesn't hold fuel pressure very well. The car seems to hesitate a lot more when it is cold. The idle is still fairly rough once it warms up. I guess it is time for me to start stock piling parts so I can swap them out the next time I run into this problem. I need to spend at least $200 to get waived for emissions testing this year (I would rather just pass the crappy test). So, tomorrow I will order an ignition module and coil pack. If it doesn't fix the problem, it will get me past emissions and I can figure the problem out before next year (famous last words).

Originally posted by brn agn
All of the plugs looked good...nice even tan color...except the one on cylinder #6. It looked like it was getting a lot of fuel. I think that injector may be leaking because I noticed that it doesn't hold fuel pressure very well. The car seems to hesitate a lot more when it is cold. The idle is still fairly rough once it warms up. I guess it is time for me to start stock piling parts so I can swap them out the next time I run into this problem. I need to spend at least $200 to get waived for emissions testing this year (I would rather just pass the crappy test). So, tomorrow I will order an ignition module and coil pack. If it doesn't fix the problem, it will get me past emissions and I can figure the problem out before next year (famous last words).
if you don't have any screens in your maf sensor you need them i bet that is your problem. if we can get together i'll give you mine. don't buy anything i have everything you can try out. maybe we can get together saturday if you want let me know Rob

KarKid.....met you at the Red Bud car show. Did they ever set a date to re-schedule??? Let me know if they did! E mail me sometime, we will have to try to get together sometime.