Double Stacking Steel Shim Head Gaksets????

Chris McDade

Hey guys,
I always run a single 84/85 steel shim head gaskets. Im thinking about running two on each side ( double stacking ). Are there any pro's our con's to doing this? Im also thinking that it might lower my compression a little. Anyone out there doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Most of us run the single shim for more compression but some do double stack them to maintain closer to stock combustion chamber volume.

I like more not less but there are probably more that are horified by the thought of adding compression. :) If it works for Duttweiler and Conley, it does not bother me.

There has been some discussion of the best sealer to use....seems like the GE 1200 silicone works very well for those that have tried it. Similar to the clear silicone that Conley uses on the single application.

Check with your dealer. The last time I went for headgaskets he gave me a choice. I forget the actual thicknesses but one was almost twice as thick as the stock steel shims. The application was for the hotair cars but it showed two thicknesses in the computer. Both were steel shim.

Thanks cool84 I will check on that.

I talked to Jason Crammer this morning. He is running double shimmed gaskets with good luck. So I think im going to try it.

Wish me luck guys:D

I will let you know the out come.

I have run stacked and now running single

i like the single much better car is more responsive and idles alot better than with stacked due to the lil bump in compression.

do you have your intake and heads port matched with single? if so then once you go to stacked your ports will be way off.

also dont forget to check preload on the lifters.

im going to shave a intake to fit correctly with single steel and stay this way.

i had stacked ones leak in between the two before also.
some say depends on the sealer but im not to sure and silicone will hold combustion pressure

Red,
Thanks for the input. Yes my heads are port matched. That might be something to consider. My car is running good with the single gasket. I've been running the single gaskets for years with good luck. The only reason im thinking about doing it is because when i had my motor build they deck the block and heads. So by installing two gasket on each side it might put the compression but to stock..i.e 8.1.

Just a thought.....

Chris,
I would continue to use just 1 gasket. Although i run a Fel Pro O ringed gasket, i built my motor with 9.1 comp. Like Red stated , it just runs much better especially off idle and before the boost comes in.