Dowpipe replacement ?

dssking

Good afternoon guys, and Happy Race day! DAYTONA 500 !

Anyway, I'm considering replacing the stock downpipe with the typical 3" version that most use here.
How long and what's involved in it? I'm mechanically inclined, so removing things isn't an issue........

I've already done the front brakes and rocker cover gaskets on it (not yet at home but will be soon). I'm waiting on a full pollish then it'll be home) ....... interior will have the seats shampooed and the carpet replaced. Then time to enjoy. Took it out for a blast Wednesday and am VERY happy with the car. Having never owned a GN before, (other cars include a 57 Bel Air and an LS1 Corvette), it's a fun car to drive.

I've seen the spring cleaning thread........suggestions on cheap mods on these cars?

Cheers
Vijay
Markham, Ontario

Anyway, I'm considering replacing the stock downpipe with the typical 3" version that most use here.
How long and what's involved in it? I'm mechanically inclined, so removing things isn't an issue........

I've already done the front brakes and rocker cover gaskets on it (not yet at home but will be soon). I'm waiting on a full pollish then it'll be home) ....... interior will have the seats shampooed and the carpet replaced. Then time to enjoy. Took it out for a blast Wednesday and am VERY happy with the car. Having never owned a GN before, (other cars include a 57 Bel Air and an LS1 Corvette), it's a fun car to drive.

I've seen the spring cleaning thread........suggestions on cheap mods on these cars?

Cheers
Vijay
Markham, Ontario

Hi Vijay, welcome aboard.
The DP is fairly easy especially if you have a hoist. I did it in the garage without and still managed.
I'm just north of you about an hr in the Barrie area.
Best buddy lives in Markham and I was born and raised there.

Hey! Glad to meet another local boy!

I do have a lift in the garage so that'll make it a little easier..... Where are you sourcing your parts from? US or is there a supplier locally?
I'll be doing most of the work here at the house. My frequent trips are usually through Barrie to Blue Mountain to check on the rental condo.....otherwise, skiing.

Let's meet up some time!

Most of the parts I have were purchased from the states.
Occasionally you'll find some 2nd hand parts for sale up here, but I wouldn't be in a hurry. Is your car all stock?
As for the downpipe, I bought my 3" from RJC racing. A vendor on this board. Unfortunately our dollar sucks so it hurts the pocket book.

Morning! Without having really gotten into it YET, it's mostly stock, aside from exhaust. I'll pull the kick panel on the passenger side and see if a chip is
installed......if not, that's next.... Since I've never had one of these cars, I'll enjoy it the way it is for the summer and then see what I'd like to do next.

Don't want to go crazy, but for a small amount of capital, these cars can easily go 11's.... that's the goal. (as I'm sure you know these can beVERy fast)

True...... although I don't live near a track, if I knew (somewhat) that the car with said modifications would go XXX time, then I'd
be happy with that. That, plus using the G-Tech Pro on the windshild on the Markham Bypass would also give me a base of what
it would be capable of...........

Spring cleaning, new injectors, Scanmaster, boost gauge, Turbo Tweak chip. Once it runs well and pulls clean with no knock start upping the boost. Look for a hotwire kit on the fuel pump harness. Or buy these new and install yourself.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Spring cleaning, new injectors, Scanmaster, boost gauge, Turbo Tweak chip. Once it runs well and pulls clean with no knock start upping the boost. Look for a hotwire kit on the fuel pump harness. Or buy these new and install yourself.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I would also add Alky Injection from Alkycontrol (Razor) is probably one of the better cost-per-hp items you could add on your car.

there are a few things to consider before the down pipe like others have mentioned. there were tons of 12sec, 11sec and 10 sec recipes and tricks to get help get your where you want to be on here at one time, some as simple as plugging the coolant lines that flow thru the throttle body, adding a little 104 octane, or rear brake cylinder upgrades.....tons of stuff. I will see if I can dig up some of the red armstrong notes just to give you an idea. Also here are a few of RJC recipes http://rjcracing.com/speed-recipies/11-sec-recipe-updated/

there are a few things to consider before the down pipe like others have mentioned. there were tons of 12sec, 11sec and 10 sec recipes and tricks to get help get your where you want to be on here at one time, some as simple as plugging the coolant lines that flow thru the throttle body, adding a little 104 octane, or rear brake cylinder upgrades.....tons of stuff. I will see if I can dig up some of the red armstrong notes just to give you an idea. Also here are a few of RJC recipes http://rjcracing.com/speed-recipies/11-sec-recipe-updated/

x2.

If you are handy with a welder, you can box your frame, or at least box your rear LCAs.

You could purchase the UMI rear lower control arm relocation brackets that are just $80, and Boost Crew Motorsports sells rear upper control arm relocation brackets (not sure how much the brackets are by themselves) but with both of those you can adjust your Instant Center and really help dial in your weight transfer.

I believe there are a few threads around here that show how to port your own stock intake manifold, and your stock heads as well. If anything, you could at least port-match the intake to heads to help prevent any turbulence.

Taking off the exhaust right after the downpipe could help..porting the stock WG puck hole may aid in controlling boost at higher psi.

Welcome aboard. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board and if you tap into the right sources you will be well on your way. When I was researching to build my car one thing that kept coming up was the first thing to focus on is the fuel system and tune. Lucklily for you Racetronix is out of Markham and can help you out with a fuel system for your car. It doesnt have to be anything fancy but that coupled with a good tune/chip will help the performance and longevity of your car.

Going on about fuel I chose to go the Alky route beucase of the notoriously bad fuel we get in Ontario (I am down near St. Catharines).... I have read too many study's of our "94 Octane" being comparable to around 91.5 Octane from a US station... After logging my subaru, I was shocked at the difference and what the Knock Retard values were and how much timing was being pulled with our 94 octane VS 93 octane from a station in NY. Just some food for thought.

With some reading and a little fiddling you will have a great running, fun car! Good luck!

Cheers
Vijay
Markham, Ontario
If you want cheap mods don't mod:Dok seriously the downpipe on a stock car is not needed gutted cat or dump tube,alky injection,rjc plate,tt alky chip,single pump and Hotwire,shift kit and trans cooler good set of tires regap the plugs and go colder then turn the boost up.fp gauge and scanmaster are needed.the trans will be on borrowed time with the boost turned way up and the car is hooking.