Driving on 5 Cylinders

1987 GN

How much damage did I do to my LC2 driving around for a little bit not realizing that one of the plug wires slipped off. It drove ok and I did not notice until I was away from the traffic and I could hear the spark coming from the wire. Any ideas. Hopefully no damage results from this! Thanks.

I don't think it would be a biggie. Plug it back on and go. I'm sure you will know if something fried.

Ha!
That's nothing man.

I went for almost 2 weeks on 5 cylinders around the time I replaced my turbo. It started running funny right as the turbo was dying so I ASSumed that the turbo was the cause.. Wrong.

After replacing the turbo, the car ran much better but still kind of "lumpy." It was about time to replace the plugs. When I pulled the middle passenger side plug, I noticed the gap was about 1/4" and the little ceramic piece on the inside of the plug had blown out!! :eek: :eek:

Luckily I deduced that the ceramic piece blew out with the old turbo because the exhaust fins were slightly chewed up when I pulled it out. A compression test showed that all cylinders were still holding 120-130lbs too.

I think I narrowly skirted some serious damage there!

Just make sure the oil does not have gas in it. The injector was still firing gas even though the plug was not lighting it. You probably did not harm the motor

I know a guy that had a 10 second gn. Well, they were doing a bunch of wrenching to it between runs, and forgot to put the plug wires back on the passenger side. He was having troubles all night, so the rough idle didn't set off any warning signs. He took it up to the line and ended up running a low 12 run on 3 cylinders!!!