Dumb paint question

ravege

I got a stay-down license plate holder and primed and painted it. Gassed up a few days later, a couple drops got on it and went through the paint like shit through a goose. I don't recall the paint I used, was at a friends at the time, I'm thinking it was engine enamel, but I honestly wasn't paying attention - it was black. Anyhoo, what paint will hold up to the occasional gas drip?

Carry some plastic bags in your car, when you fuel up put the bag between the filler tube and the plate holder so if you do have any splash back it won't go on your bumper fillers, etc. Don't fill up past the first click off on the nozzle either.

Another tip, when you put the nozzle in your filler tube thump it a couple times against the tube. Sometimes the auto shutoff valve in the nozzle gets stuck and doesn't shut off. By thumping it you can free up the valve. Lesson learned the hard way with a brand new pair of boots soaked in gas.

Try an epoxy based spray paint. Maybe even that appliance epoxy sold in Home Depot for ovens and refrigerators. Good stuff. Lays nice and flat. Takes forever to dry. But can look as good as powder coat and just as tough. I did my driveshaft with it 3 years ago. Too bad it's under the car. Because it looks frigging awesome.

It doesn't like sunlight though. But that shouldn't be a problem.

Gas stained my powdercoated bumper. Had to get it redone. Now I always grab some paper towels and put them under the fill tube when I pump gas.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I stop at the first click and do the filler shake but there always seems to be a drop or two that escapes. After this incident I've been using the paper towels they have by the window washer, but of course half the time those are empty. I'll have a look at that epoxy paint.

Had mine clear zinc plated.

Attachments

• IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 99