dyno numbers with GN-1's and roller cam DISSAPOINTMENT

at this point ive only foun one item that is out of wack, after degreeing the cam in the car i found that the "installed intake centerline" was around 115.5 to the recommended 112 in comps catalog...putting me 3.5 degrees advanced if im reading the degree wheel right.

would this ammount of "advance" kill the potental power at my new 5800 redline? though an advanced cam helped lower the power band.....

You have a turbo on there that will support 650hp and are running it at about 415hp. I dynoed and raced a stock as assembled from GM bottom end last summer and it made considerably more power at 15psi with a lot leaner tune than you are using. GN1 heads and 212/212. I did have timing optimized for the fuel i was using though. If i recall it made around 400whp@15psi, 465whp at 18psi. Around 530whp@20-21psi and 609@25psi.

what fuel were you using?

It might hurt a litttle but above 5500, but it should not kill your 200 hp your missing.

at this point ive only foun one item that is out of wack, after degreeing the cam in the car i found that the "installed intake centerline" was around 115.5 to the recommended 112 in comps catalog...putting me 3.5 degrees advanced if im reading the degree wheel right.

would this ammount of "advance" kill the potental power at my new 5800 redline? though an advanced cam helped lower the power band.....

what fuel were you using?

You would be retarded 3.5 degrees. I was using 116 octane Renegade NOS fuel.

You would be retarded 3.5 degrees. I was using 116 octane Renegade NOS fuel.

oh so that would completely ruin the powerband i was hoping for...this is with the cam installed in a "straight up" position, i guess comp cams ground the core off a bit?

I still don't get why people are trying to make alot of power on low octane fuel besides trying to ruin their motor.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 463
I still don't get why people are trying to make alot of power on low octane fuel besides trying to ruin their motor.

im not trying to push 700 hp on this motor, and from what i can tell 430-450 is not that impossible. i made just over 400 whp with a cam getting wiped and busted stock heads with one damaged valve seat

moreover everybody in houston thinks lsx based equipment is god, i just want somthing to keep up on pump 93

Being your cam retarded 3 degrees is not going to kill 200 hp it will move the power band up 400 rpm and give you more top end, less on the bottom. You need to start looking somewhere else. Other people have un-ported heads and less turbo then you making gobs of power.

Being your cam retarded 3 degrees is not going to kill 200 hp it will move the power band up 400 rpm and give you more top end, less on the bottom. You need to start looking somewhere else. Other people have un-ported heads and less turbo then you making gobs of power.

i was talking to KL Mallender via pm's and he seems to think that the valve springs are having a tough time controlling the valvetrain....which i could buy but in calling the comp cams tech line they seem to think that with the installed height of 1.800 and a seat load of 125 lbs my problem is elseware.

how accurate are comp cams installed height pressures?

93 Octane only won't bring the Numbers out your combonation,It's hard enough to get a bone stock car to run over 19psi with out Race Fuel,your combonation put's more air an fuel in then stock car,thats why only got 15 psi....Put an Alky kit on this car or Fill your gas tank with 110 octane plus Fuel, Then turn your boost up manualy or by wastegate valve to 22 psi...It'll be like Night an Day!!!..you must be catalicitc converter free as well..you'll push the 500hp numbers then with more on tap (don't go over 26psi on stock block)

Enjoy!

i was talking to KL Mallender via pm's and he seems to think that the valve springs are having a tough time controlling the valvetrain....which i could buy but in calling the comp cams tech line they seem to think that with the installed height of 1.800 and a seat load of 125 lbs my problem is elseware.

how accurate are comp cams installed height pressures?

125 lb seat pressure was barely adaquate with lower lift flat tappets trying to run 6000 rpms, trying to opperate heavier hydralic rollers on much more aggressive ramps is futile, by design..a 210-218 @.050 cam profile will produce peak torque around 3800-4200 and peak horsepower around 4600-5200 depending on head flow.

To prove a point.. equip your engine with an EGT probe before turbine entrance, lower boost to known safe levels, lock ignition timing at a continous 17-19 degrees from 3000 rpm up, record EGT temps during run, if your fueling is even close you will see lowest EGT temps at peak torque rpm for your engine.
increasing ignition advance will lower these temps untill it detonates at which you will see temperature drop at peak torque rpm.
By graphing temperatures you will see the exhaust temps climb at the onset of "valve float", and go stupid from there on up the rpm scale.
This is best done with a tighter converter than you would actually race, but is best to tune with to learn your baseline parameters.
Good luck,

Kevin.

the only real update to note is that i now have the cam in at a 110 intake centerline from the recommended 112. thats about as close as i can get it for the provided timing chain. oh and i was wrong, my inital cam timing was alot closer to 119 at the straight up timing position :eek: , lifter bleed down gave me false readings and i now know the camshaft was ground way off....

X-mas shopping has me missing in action right now. ill update the thread when i get the egt installed and/or new valvesprings.

Bringing this one back from the grave....slim did you ever find out what was going on?

120lb injectors... I'm only running 75's.

Ran 404rwhp on 13psi on 91, turned my turbo up to 16 on 110vp pump gas (hella expensive/ 1 station in 30mi radius) power was good on the street but only having 1 station was a hassle. Now I'm running 16psi on 91/alky single nozzle with a ams500 set to off, when I switch my ams to on I get 18psi, right now I'm in the process of upping my AMS on boost level to 24-26psi....

Moral of the story is unless there are a lot of gas stations in your area that provide race gas take my word and just get a alky kit and turn your boost up as high as possible.