E85 question

gm5150

I am converting to E85 very soon.
How big of injectors can I go before needing a ECM modification?
My current setup is in my sig. I do not want to go crazy and get a double pump etc.
Would like to go with a single pump, maybe 80# inj. or MAYBE 120# inj. if no ECM mod needed.
I know I need to upgrade my fuel pump, injectors, TT E85 chip, #6 return fuel line at least.
Would like to keep the stock feed lines for a while.
Do I also need a new fuel pressure regulator, looks like a BOSCH installed on it now.

You can get 80s injectors that won't need modded ecm and you will need adjustable fpr.singel pump dws I be leave 301 or Waldron 450.e85compatable. And volt booster.and all you said.

Goals? Best to start there or you might end up like many others who end up with the wrong combination of parts for their intended application.

New goals:
25 PSI Boost ( Ta-49 installed now )
80# flow match injectors
E85 TT chip
DW300 pump

Last edited:
For those goals you can keep it simple. 80lb injectors (could probably get by with 60's but they might be close to maxed), Kirban fuel pressure regulator, E85 chip. If you feel compelled to buy a new pump stick with a 255lph and you won't run the risk of potentially having to mess with the return line. At only 20lbs of boost that TA49 is not making any more power than the stock turbo. Need to up the boost more to benefit from the upgrade. Someone else may have their own opinion on what combo to run but I have run almost this same setup for years in my previous Turbo Buick, not a single problem. Save up for some trans work if yours is still stock. The inevitable will happen sooner or later. If running drag radials, probably sooner.

Testing on a stock long block car now.
22 psi 10.2 AF Ratio at WOT with the chip maxed out on fuel.
No volt booster (Yet), Single 340 pump I believe the line off pressure is 50psi at the regulator.
80's with a PTE 6262 and PTE FMIC
Vigilante converter.
The owner is loving the learning process and surprised at the performance thus far.
I tend to test the waters so others can benefit from my accomplishments/failures lol!

Testing on a stock long block car now.
22 psi 10.2 AF Ratio at WOT with the chip maxed out on fuel.
No volt booster (Yet), Single 340 pump I believe the line off pressure is 50psi at the regulator.
80's with a PTE 6262 and PTE FMIC
Vigilante converter.
The owner is loving the learning process and surprised at the performance thus far.
I tend to test the waters so others can benefit from my accomplishments/failures lol!
Is 10.2 rich?

10.2 is not rich for E85. Went from 11.5 to 10.5 in all 3 parameters and it woke the car big time was only set to 16 psi but the chip is set for 25psi.gonna leave it at 16psi on the street it's great.but every car is different on what it likes.

Its a bit rich IMO. I try to stay between 10.8 and 11.2 depending on boost level. I am shooting for 11.0 on this car at 24 psi. at 27-28 10.8 30+ 10.2-10.5. This is just my opinion.
Test car number 2 is a Walbro 430, 60-1, FMIC, 321 Converter, and a stock long block as well on 80's. Testing this weekend.

My car I run around 11.0 that's why I was asking although I'm pretty sure my chip was burned that way but I am turning up the boost and trying to keep the AFR there. I'm at 22psi but I'm a hot air lol so I wonder if soon even if my AFR is spot on if it will still see detenation soon.

Last edited:
What injectors will work? .....dude seriously, like 5 threads down... http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/t...-fuel-pump-do-i-need-reference-thread.448837/

80s are the highest that you can run without a modded ECM, unless they now make 120s in high impedance.

That thread will tell you how much HP you can make at certain sized injectors...

with 80lb injectors, depending on what VE your engine has, you would max them out at around 550-600fwhp and 100% duty cycle for the injectors.

Sounds like where I was recently.............. 80s are the best along w/ tt chip and bigger return line just in case. Ta-49 is a nice benefit along with F/P reg, hot wire and a DW 300 in tank!!
This should satisfy the needs you expressed..............................

want to be able to run 18-20# of boost.
just street driven only. 100% E85 gas use only once I convert it.
I drive it around town, run errands and from time to time punch the throttle wide open on some back roads. those are my goals.

do yourself a huge favor and go the route of least resistance .. Siemens 80# inj, Dw301 pump, TT chip, this is a proven setup that has pushed many cars in the 10's ,.. no reason to guess or try to come up with another design of the wheel .. the setup just works !
With these parts there is no reason not to run more boost if on E85 .. I wouldn't hesitate to ramp it up to 24 once you get it dialed in . There is a radical change in the way the car will perform with that turbo running on 18 psi and 24 psi.

I will caution you .. once you turn it up to that power level , if the trans is stock it will not live long .. more often than not the front drum lets go

yup, it has stock Trans in it with 2400 stall converter from what the previous owner told me.

do yourself a huge favor and go the route of least resistance .. Siemens 80# inj, Dw301 pump, TT chip, this is a proven setup that has pushed many cars in the 10's ,.. no reason to guess or try to come up with another design of the wheel .. the setup just works !
With these parts there is no reason not to run more boost if on E85 .. I wouldn't hesitate to ramp it up to 24 once you get it dialed in . There is a radical change in the way the car will perform with that turbo running on 18 psi and 24 psi.

I will caution you .. once you turn it up to that power level , if the trans is stock it will not live long .. more often than not the front drum lets go

with this recommended setup, do I need to change the return line still?

with this recommended setup, do I need to change the return line still?

you should not .. I have seen a few cars that had elevated fuel pressures at idle.. but it was not the pump that was the issue .. it was a restriction in the return line

once the restriction is removed .. all good

I am converting to E85 very soon.
How big of injectors can I go before needing a ECM modification?
My current setup is in my sig. I do not want to go crazy and get a double pump etc.
Would like to go with a single pump, maybe 80# inj. or MAYBE 120# inj. if no ECM mod needed.
I know I need to upgrade my fuel pump, injectors, TT E85 chip, #6 return fuel line at least.
Would like to keep the stock feed lines for a while.
Do I also need a new fuel pressure regulator, looks like a BOSCH installed on it now.

I've been 11.86 @ 113 on stock engine, turbo, intercooler and D5. Stock fuel lines, 80lb injectors and DW300 pump. This was on a 90 degree day also.

you should not .. I have seen a few cars that had elevated fuel pressures at idle.. but it was not the pump that was the issue .. it was a restriction in the return line

once the restriction is removed .. all good

While he may not NEED to, the fact others had elevated fuel pressure at idle shows that there is jn fact a restriction in the flow. If you add more fuel flow the restriction will just get worse.

For the $100 or less it would cost to put in a new return line and adapters, it is kinda silly not to address the issue. Jegs Pro Flow 200 works with all fuels and is way more flexible than teflon lines.