E85 vs. alky

Pittsburghkid

Displacement Replacement.
Ok so I know this has probably been debated before but if so I can't find the thread. I have a brand new 416 lph walbro pump and sender combo from racetronix as well as their fuel line kit. 80 lb injectors and accufab fpr so I'm ready for e85. Theres a station about 10 miles from me. I also have a brand new alky kit from razor in the box. Should I even put the alky kit on the car or just run the e85. I know alky isn't needed with e85 but was just wondering what are the pros and cons of one vs. the other.

The only problems with E85 is the limited availability and the drop in fuel mileage. To me the drop in mileage isn't a big deal but I like to do the power tour so the limited availability is the hard pill to swallow. For example if I wanted to drive to Florida from Indiana I wouldn't be able to get E85 near I-65 while in Kentucky according to the E85 app. There are dead spots all over the country but as soon as that issue is fixed I will be converting from Alky to E85! There is a E85 refinery in my county but we only have two places to buy it. Actually I just helped a guy that works at the refinery buy a 86 GN. While on the power tour I also have to carry a 5 gallon can of methanol in the trunk.

If you have an abundance of E85 stations to fill up at I would go that route.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have used ALKY and E85,I like E85 better. The cars that I have converted just run better,quicker spool is the first thing u will notic. yes mileage is less and availability is less. That's something u need to decide what works for you? E85 has less components to have fail on u, ALKY pump, nossle clogging ..... Don't get me wrong ALKY is a great choose...if E85 isn't available.

Only one way to really know. Try both out. :D

I would sell the alky kit to re-up on some of the E85 conversion cost... and just stick with the ethanol, but that's just me. I guess you can call me an Ethanolic.

Lets not forget you can write off the E85 conversion kit for going green on your taxes :p
Save the USA stop relying on foreign oil, Go Green Oh.. and turn up the boost. :cool:

You could just buy 2 different chips. If your going to run 80# injectors, then your not planning on going too fast, so I would honestly go with an alky kit. Single nozzle will be good for around 10.5's or slower.

^^^^^Very true. And SloGN just went in the 9's on a single nozzle and pump 93 with 9" ET streets. I like the idea of both chips for long journeys and it's not like they are that hard to change. SD2 chip and you can change it yourself with a laptop.

I have E85 available but I'm still skeptical about the consistency to run it; plus the storage issues, but that too could be solved by just storing it with real gas and a different chip.

I've been running E85 with the alky. Very little alky on top of the E85.

I've been running E85 with the alky. Very little alky on top of the E85.

No Way! You cant do THAT Steve! At least 5 board members said it isn't necessary, so it must be true:D
First thing im changing on the new SD2 chip is NO fuel cut off;)

Ya tell me about it, right.... E85 has no limits man! You can run all the boost and all the timing and it will just take every inch like Marilyn Chambers! It'll never knock it just doesn't understand the meaning of the word. Lol....

^^^^^Very true. And SloGN just went in the 9's on a single nozzle and pump 93 with 9" ET streets. I like the idea of both chips for long journeys and it's not like they are that hard to change. SD2 chip and you can change it yourself with a laptop.

I have E85 available but I'm still skeptical about the consistency to run it; plus the storage issues, but that too could be solved by just storing it with real gas and a different chip.
My car has been sitting all spring/summer with e85, what difference does sitting all winter make? I doubled up on Lucas stabilizer and ran it through. I got my car ready for winter 1 month ago, and just got it out this weekend to make a video for the fastest street car on youtube. Everything looked and worked like normal. This fuel is over 3 months old. A friend of mine is running e85 in his 5.3 silverado stock truck. It is still way cheaper than even 87 octane, so the mileage difference isnt a concern, vs. $17/gal Q or C16, it is a no brainer.

The availability is the biggest issue in a car that goes on trips. I have 4 stations within 15 miles, one on my way to work.

My car has been sitting all spring/summer with e85, what difference does sitting all winter make? I doubled up on Lucas stabilizer and ran it through. I got my car ready for winter 1 month ago, and just got it out this weekend to make a video for the fastest street car on youtube. Everything looked and worked like normal. This fuel is over 3 months old. A friend of mine is running e85 in his 5.3 silverado stock truck. It is still way cheaper than even 87 octane, so the mileage difference isnt a concern, vs. $17/gal Q or C16, it is a no brainer.

The availability is the biggest issue in a car that goes on trips. I have 4 stations within 15 miles, one on my way to work.

Would like to see it run for 5k miles/year for five years with detailed maintenance. Then I'll be sold. Don't you have to change the oil more? And I've heard it's hard on fuel filters. Everyone points to performance right away, which it does do well, but I don't want fuel additives all the time. Still waiting for the thread, "I've been running E85 straight for 50k miles and this is what I had to do..."

I appreciate yours and everyone's feedback. I'm close to switch but these issues hold me back still.

Time will tell, I have no answers on long term. I change my oil alot as it is just for peace of mind. I will be checking the fuel filters and injectors in March. If I make it to next spring with no issues, I call it all good. My car has sat with the same E85 in it all year with no issues, I didn't do much with the car this year. I was even running rubber hose everybody said wouldn't hold up. The same hose that had 4 years of Q16 use.

You could just buy 2 different chips. If your going to run 80# injectors, then your not planning on going too fast, so I would honestly go with an alky kit. Single nozzle will be good for around 10.5's or slower.

I thought 80's were good to mid/high 10's with a supporting pump and lines?

Would like to see it run for 5k miles/year for five years with detailed maintenance. Then I'll be sold. Don't you have to change the oil more? And I've heard it's hard on fuel filters. Everyone points to performance right away, which it does do well, but I don't want fuel additives all the time. Still waiting for the thread, "I've been running E85 straight for 50k miles and this is what I had to do..."

I appreciate yours and everyone's feedback. I'm close to switch but these issues hold me back still.

Another testimonial for ya....

I've been using it 3 years so far on two different Turbo Regals. There aren't any winter storage issues or fuel filter issues or fuel line issues. You can trust E85.

I use cellulose fuel filters (Jegs house brand). The kind where you can see the whole element when you open it. The last one I changed was well over a year old and it looked like it was still brand new.

I thought 80's were good to mid/high 10's with a supporting pump and lines?
That is my point. No need to do the conversion when alky will do what you want. If you want to go faster, the 93 alky will do it without more$$$.
Another approach would be to go the E85 route with drilling the lines out and getting a double pumper. See what the limits of the car are and go from there. You can always switch to alky later.
I spent around 2k on my conversion, but it will handle a lot of power (900hp). Some guys get away with cheaper.

I converted to E85 this year with very minimal expense. Different pump(used from coach), new 120's, modded ECM, and a TT E85 chip. Everything else is stock. Runs perfectly. Ended the summer at 22 lbs of boost. Chip is burned for 30#.

I needed a new pump and injectors anyways, so the cost for me was actually small with some used parts.

Used Pump $100
120# Injectors $372
E85 Chip $70
Used Modded ECM $225
Total $767

That is my point. No need to do the conversion when alky will do what you want. If you want to go faster, the 93 alky will do it without more$$$.
Another approach would be to go the E85 route with drilling the lines out and getting a double pumper. See what the limits of the car are and go from there. You can always switch to alky later.
I spent around 2k on my conversion, but it will handle a lot of power (900hp). Some guys get away with cheaper.

I already have a brand new alky kit, but I also have everything needed to run e85. I needed new fuel lines because the car sat, so buying the racetronix lines that were e85 capable was a no brainer. The new stainless fuel lines I was looking at wasn't much less $. Even though when I got the car it had a hot-wired walbro it was old enough that replacing it for peace of mind was needed. Since I was already buying the lines that needed a hanger with AN fittings I just went with the 416lph e85 capable pump. Already had 60's but got a deal on the 80's. So that's where I'm at. It's not that I've had the alky and now want to go e85. It's that I have the supporting mods for e85. All in all I've spent about $900 to be able to run e85 vs $600 for the alky + the money for the lines and pump that were gonna need replaced anyway. So to me its a wash. I may have actually spent less for the e85 fuel system than alky plus new stock lines and supporting pump.

So do I just run e85 or do I use the alky and run 93? If your low on fuel and not near e85 can you just turn down the boost and run unleaded 93 and then refill with e85 next time? How much tuning adjustment is necessary if having to switch back? These are the debates I'm having with e85 vs alky.