Eclipse speakers

Fuelie600

Not sure if the spelling is right. To start, I'm looking to replace the fact speakers w/ better stuff. A well respected local audio store who deals with some high end stuff, suggested I install Eclipse 5.25's ( $70 ) and 4x10 coaxials ( $100 ). Sensitivity is 90 db's and they say that they are not power hogs and should work very well w/ the factory HU. Do these speakers rank up there, or should I pass and keep looking? Also, being how the 5.25's are coaxial, should I disconnect ( unplug ) the dash mounted 3.5's for fear of over taxing the factory HU? My GN has the CS II. Thanks Brian

I have the 6x9 Eclipse speakers in the rear. I like the sound of the speakers for the money. No issue with the mounting of the speakers using adapters.

Dannyo

Thanks Dannyo. Anyone w/ advise on keeping or disconnecting the dash 3.5's? Dannyo, did you have to mod any braces in the trunk to fit the 6x9's? What brand adapters did you use? Thanks Brian

Thanks Dannyo. Anyone w/ advise on keeping or disconnecting the dash 3.5's? Dannyo, did you have to mod any braces in the trunk to fit the 6x9's? What brand adapters did you use? Thanks Brian

I did not have to modify any braces in the trunk area. I also did not put any speakers up front (dash) area. I bought some polk's for the concert areas. No name brand on the adapters. The adapters were purchased from the local auto stereo shop where I purchased the speakers.

Dannyo

Zam70. Some guys mentioned to me that they believed the door and dash speakers were wired on the same output. They were concern that maybe being how the new 5.25's were coaxial, there would be too heavy a load on the head unit. Should ( could ) I just unplug the dash speakers? Thanks

I put new 3 way Pioneers in the front and 3 way Pioneer 6x9's in the back. People get in my car and ask me what amp I have. Don't even have one! Stock 2003 Malibu CD radio. The rear 6x9's gave a good fight. The braket would not go around the speaker and clip for nothing. These 6x9's are really big. So I got some monster wireties and used the hold for the clip and a small hole that is right next to it and pulled them tight. I can punch the magnet and they don't move at all. Prolly works better then if I did clip it! Anyways.. I love the sound for not putting in an amp. Pictures of my wiretie 6x9's can be seen HERE :) Custom trunk kit with 2) 12" subs coming this winter :) Then..the amps will come!

Eclipse speakers IMO probally sounds the best in drop in replacement speakers.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to pick up the Eclipse from my audio shop unless someone knows of an online company to buy from. I want to remain stock appearing. Brian

Originally posted by Fuelie600
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to pick up the Eclipse from my audio shop unless someone knows of an online company to buy from. I want to remain stock appearing. Brian

Do not buy from your store. I've been heavily into car audio for about a year now, and lots of people I know have dealt with www.ikesound.com , or www.thezeb.com and gotten great deals with good service. I personally have type R speakers(from Alpine) and I love them.They have good midbass,more than any 5 1/4 I have ever heard, and the tweeter does not get real harsh unless I play some old Zep. As far as 4x10's, do not go with those, oval speakers distort much easier than round,has to do with cone movement and all that jazz. Pick up some nice 6x9's like Alpine,PPI,Diamond,Crystal, those are all companies whose speakers sound more than halfway decent.

Spending the extra 10 or 20$ on better speakers makes a world of difference.Trust me, I'm 17 and Ive gone through about 5k in stereo.

Thanks Marelyskater, but I definitely am staying w/ stock replacement stuff. My goal here is to freshen up the speakers as the originals are 19 yrs old, and I'm sure are not up to their original performance. My Z71 has a killer stereo 'cause I use it everyday, but my GN gets 300-500 miles a year at best. Besides, I listen to the 3" single exh. more than the stereo. Just want real good quality replacements, but can not find many 4x10's online. Eclipse sound great, so I'll prolly pick some up local if noone knows of an omline source for them. MB quarts sound good but can not find any 4x10's in those either. Brian

Fuelie - you'll be fine with both hooked up - should give you an end impedence of around 6ohm which any stereo will handle.