EGR block off plate

Farmer

Lets try something new, at least for me. I am putting a reworked plenum on the car and need a EGR block plate. I found a boatload on ebay but none for the 231 application. Anyone know where I can get one? I would like to have it ASAP as I'm putting the engine back together first of next week.

Thanks

Are you keeping the little EGR manifold between the plenum and lower intake manifold? I think that would use a standard EGR block off plate.

If you're getting rid of that, that I think you need to make two custom plate for the lower intake and the plenum. A previous owner on my car made plates using 3/8" thick aluminum cut with a band saw into diamond shapes.

I'm using a reworked 83 plenum and blocking the EGR tunnel out the back of it. I opened the plenum up and smoothed it all out like Charlie did with the 301 job.

Last edited:
I would think that's a standard EGR port, but could be wrong. If you find one listed for a different application, you could check on Rock Auto and see if the use the same EGR gasket. If the gaskets are the same, the block off plates should be the same. No one is going to market a block off plate for the few carb/turbo V6's we have.

On the '83 plenum, the EGR passage provides heats (which is why it goes front to back). Without it, you could have fuel puddleing issues under the carb, which will lead to a bog when the ambient air is cooler. The EGR, EFE grid and THERMAC air cleaner all kept the things warm for better atomization of the fuel. I'm not saying to keep them, but realize the trade off in cold start drivability when getting rid of them.

On my '83, when the EGR valve went bad, I found that the knocked a lot when cruising down the highway. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but EGR helps suppress knock at part throttle. At wide open throttle is shuts off, so not much is gained by removing it.

I am getting rid of the EGR on my '82 GN, but that will be a track only car. I'm using a 1980 plenum that uses coolant to keep it warm. I think this will control heat better (not so hot and more consistent) than the EGR set up. The EGR setup in 1982/83 heated quicker for better cold start emissions.

What are you plans for this engine?

Thanks for the reply Rich.

My plans are to have a less cluttered engine and still have plenty of pep.

Right now the engine still has the old plenum. I got lost when you spoke of the plenum and lower intake. I kept thinking on that and went to the manual and instantly saw what you must have meant. This plenum that I have been working on (from a swap meet and assume its from 83 maybe 84?) has a tunnel out the back that the EGR bolts to. It uses the fel-pro 70978 gasket. That's the same gasket the 79-84 use.

The stock plenum on the car right now is heated with water, or was until I caped it and removed the hoses. I couldn't see behind the carb and didn't notice the EGR going into the manifold. If I had gone to your web site I could have seen where it does. The tunnel between the plenum and manifold is where the EGR goes. On this new plenum the tunnel is molded to it with the EGR bolting directly behind. It (new plenum) also has water going to it but I was going to block that to.

The weather doesn't get to cold here in the winter and the car doesn't get driven much. I do go out and start it on a regular basis and it starts ok. In the summer it gets real hot here and this is what I could use less of. Its the only time the car really leaves the property to go on any kind of millage drive. I already have a 160 thermostat and have ordered the 2 row 1 inch tube radiator in hopes of additional cooling there. In your opinion will the remaining heat from the engine allow me the consistent atomization I need?

thanks

If it doesn't get cold, you'll be OK. If it's running fine now without the coolant running through the plenum, then it shouldn't be a problem with the new plenum (although I don't see any advantage to running an 1983 plenum over the 1979).

There shouldn't be any coolant passages in a EGR heated plenum (casting number 25510089). You might want to double check that before blocking something off.

Since you don't use an ECM like my 1983, the air fuel ratio is somewhat rich and blocking the EGR is less likely to cause knock at part throttle.

Oh, you need to block the EGR off at the lower intake where that little manifold was. At the two bolts just below and to the left of the letter D.

And if you getting rid of the smog pump, you might want to replace the check valve A with a pipe plug.

1261568top.jpg

Oh, you need to block the EGR off at the lower intake where that little manifold was. At the two bolts just below and to the left of the letter D.

And if you getting rid of the smog pump, you might want to replace the check valve A with a pipe plug.

1261568top.jpg
Yea, I've already taken the pump off and blocked A. The EGR is my concern. I have the gasket and plate to block the new plenum but not the manifold place under D. I think, or hope, its the same gasket and plate. I had to find the pate that could be used with the EGR gasket off the back of the plenum. In this case it was for the AMC AMX JEEP EAGLE GM OLDS on ebay. I guess I'll order another for the manifold location. It looks the same. Do you know?

It's not the same. It only has one hole. Looks more this this:
Capture.JPG

You may have to make it yourself.