EGR Source of Vacuum Leak?

54Rich

So my car idles like it has a terrible vacuum leak. I have replaced all the lines, found a defective heater control valve, etc. But, could it be the EGR? What does this thing do, how does it work, can I get rid of it and the stuff it's connected to?

No emmsions testing here:wink:

Thanks,

Rich

Its possible. I discovered that my egr valve was allowing boost to leak past the stem not the base gasket, but actually around the stem. With that said it had to be leaking vac as well.
I pulled the valve and filled the intake side cavity on the valve with jb weld epoxy putty and filed it flat and reinstalled.

With the car idling reach under and push the diaphram up on the egr valve and the engine should stumble at idle when the dia is pushed up.

Did u check all of your check valves? Not neccesarily a idle problem but they get old and most fail under boost creating other problems.

Check the seal on your vac block gasket and the rubber hose between the nipples on the block and the steel lines will split at the seams when rotted and sometimes the seams are underneath.

The car bone stock???

Its possible. I discovered that my egr valve was allowing boost to leak past the stem not the base gasket, but actually around the stem. With that said it had to be leaking vac as well.
I pulled the valve and filled the intake side cavity on the valve with jb weld epoxy putty and filed it flat and reinstalled.

The car bone stock???

Great advise! So what does what does the EGR do? Looks like by pluggin it up it does not hurt anything?

Yes bone stock, just not for long;)

Thanks,

Rich

I had an EGR gasket leak. Simply tightening it down will do not good. The gasket material blew out and only the steel meash was left. The steel mesh leaks...

an EGR valve is an emmisions control part. it stands for exaust gas resurculation, at higher RMP it will take the exaust gas and run it throught the combustion cycle again though the intake manifold , in an effort to control NOX(oxides of nitrogen) and CO gasses. ive heard you can bypass them as look as you have a chip that allows it.