Equalized Cooling

hemi8

Goin Sideways
I found this interesting:
Cooling Lines.JPG

This is a Mopar race block, notice the lines from the heads at the front and rear all gather under the thermostat. So with this arrangement the coolant that hits the rear part of the cylinder heads doesn't have to travel all the way to the front part of the head to try and cool those with the hot coolant from the back. Seems like a stage engine could be setup the same way.
I was also watching a 340 build today being built as a 2000 hp twin turbo, the engine builder had an external oil drain line tapped into the middle outside of each head straight down to the oil pan to assist in draining all the oil in the heads. Since the Buick V6 heads are at such a steep angle, giving that oil that collects in the head an extra path to the pan seems like a good idea. Just wondering if the stage racers on this board have tried either of these methods?

Mike

I found this interesting:
View attachment 397137
This is a Mopar race block, notice the lines from the heads at the front and rear all gather under the thermostat. So with this arrangement the coolant that hits the rear part of the cylinder heads doesn't have to travel all the way to the front part of the head to try and cool those with the hot coolant from the back. Seems like a stage engine could be setup the same way.
I was also watching a 340 build today being built as a 2000 hp twin turbo, the engine builder had an external oil drain line tapped into the middle outside of each head straight down to the oil pan to assist in draining all the oil in the heads. Since the Buick V6 heads are at such a steep angle, giving that oil that collects in the head an extra path to the pan seems like a good idea. Just wondering if the stage racers on this board have tried either of these methods?

Mike
At 2300hp we havent needed to do anything fancy on an sbc.
Had an China crank even do that.

On 455 olds jetboat motors we drilled and tapped the back of the heads and ran both -10 lines to the drivers side toward the rear of the pan pointing down at a 45 degree angle just below the pan rail. The crank windage acts like a vacuum and sucks the oil out of the heads like a scavange pump.
Drainbacks in the olds heads are small, and at only about a 25 degree down angle from horizontal, so we first reamed them larger, but with a hi volume oil pump (required with the olds poor oiling system) the rockers would fill up with oil after a mile or so of hi rpm running, even with restricted hole pushrods. We have built tons of hi perf olds jetboat engines.
TIMINATOR

Reason I posed the question, I have an Edelbrock tunnel ram which I sent it to Tim Hogan for an EFI conversion and it has the front water ports drilled and tapped for AN lines so drilling and tapping the rear passages seems easy enough. Hogan also made me an aluminum block that holds the thermostat and has provisions for 2 rear AN lines, so why the heck not. This is what it looked like when I sent it to Tim:
Small File.jpg

I should have mentioned the two lines coming from the rear of the carb manifold are -08AN lines to 1/2" NPT. A couple Kinslers just have -04an bleed lines from the rear. Then there is this NASCAR with plumbing to the side of the block, one side only.NASCAR cooling.jpg

Interesting. I was watching Steve Morris the other day about his new design billet heads and block, he runs coolant to the heads separate from the block (no coolant transfer occurs between the heads and block).

Mike