Ever drive around and smell things you think are coming from your engine?

bandwidthpolice

I must just be paranoid. Sometimes I'll be driving and smell asphalt. I'll wonder if something's burning under the hood or near the exhaust. Then I'll smell rich fumes or a diesel truck exhaust near me and wonder if it's my car. Sounds freak me out too. I'll hear a car accellerating next to me with a noisy engine and wonder if it's me to the point of letting off the gas just to see. Probably being overly cautious. I'll even run through the ScanMaster screens just to see what's going on. So far, so good.

all the time. My wife says I have a nose for antifreeze. I am always smelling it.

The other day when I took the GN out for the first time this year....she died once I got on the boost. I pulled into the nearest driveway (no small feat without power steering) and put it in park.

Then I smelled smoke and started to freak out. I popped the hood and was reaching for my fire extinguisher when I saw the smoldering leaves in the ditch......he was just cleaning up the yard.

phewwwwwwww

I notice my GN exhaust stinks more with the test pipe on. :D
Don't tell the EPA police :(

My wife uses my daily driver & can smell the farts embedded in the seats after I been there.:eek:

I've put 97 miles on the TTA since October.

Got it uncovered, inspected engine compt, closed the hood and went for a ride Monday. Smelled something hot a couple times at stoplights. Got there....Smelled something hot again. Found a paper towel on the driver's side header....Didn't see it fefore I closed the hood. Whew! An easy fix. :D

Trapped flatulance comes with the territory ;) She should know by now :cool:

Originally posted by Dan Thompson
I think I smell things anytime I work on the car and take it for a test drive.

I do the same thing. I always think the fargin' thing is on fire. Very paranoid. With a couple 'o quarts of denatured alcohol under the hood and fuel system mods I get a little nervous. Typically, though, you can't smell yourself while you're moving. If you smell something at speed it's gotta be someone else. Tractor trailer brakes are the worst - smells like burning, melting stuff. When I smell something burning I look around for a semi - I usually find one.

I have a nose for anti-freeze, too, but 2 of my 3 cars have leaks so I'm always smelling it. One of the heater hoses leaks on the Century, the lower rad hose on the GN leaks. At least I know where the leaks are - that's half the battle. Now that the weather is warm I might actually fix 'em.

Jim

I was in my Bro's truck and as we were sitting at a light I smelled anti-freeze.

Said "huh......someone is leaking anti-freeze".

He said "well it isn't me....you are always smelling that stuff".

Two days later he sends me an e-mail.

"I wonder if you can help me find where my antifreeze is leaking......I just had to fill the coolant tank...it was empty"

Uh huh!!!!!

When I got the GN back from body shop my first drive out I thought I smelled antifreeze. My NEW AcDelco radiator did not have any brazing on the neck below the radiator cap , and was shoving antfreeze out the top. $5 fix. Another time I smelled something burning and saw smoke from under the hood in front of driver seat. My power master motor fried. Not as cheap a fix. I keep reminding myself that my car is now 17yr old, so just naturally time for things to go out. When my original 14yr old 02 sensor went out on '00 everybody behind me smelled smoke :D