exhaust leak :(

volvoman

The Green BEAST
So I have been trying to hunt down this leak. I found it and its between the turbo and exhuast manifold. I snuged it down but still leaks. What do you guys do for this?
Here are some pictures too:)

Thanks
Chris

2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Well Chris, that car has GOT to be the biggest sleeper I've ever seen. No one would expect what it's gonna do...lol.

Congrats on finishing it and another big congrats on doing what must have been a lot of fabbing.

In answer to your question....the flanges warp together with oem stuff from the heat. When you change turbos you put on a used turbo with a different warp or in the case of a new turbo, totally flat mounting flange.

Buy a 60 grit 8" grinder wheel. Remove turbo and use the side of the wheel, back and forth, up and down, until the flange is flat. You'll see the abrasive marks as you grind away. Do the turbo also. The flatter they both are, the better they'll mate.

Hope to see your car in Woodburn.

gasket?

is there not a gasket I can buy to just put in there? I thought that someone sold somthing like that. I just don't want to take it apart so close to ttv. I missed it last year and I am not going to miss it this year. I will be there if I have to push my car down the track..:)

Re: gasket?

Originally posted by volvoman
is there not a gasket I can buy to just put in there? I thought that someone sold somthing like that. I just don't want to take it apart so close to ttv. I missed it last year and I am not going to miss it this year. I will be there if I have to push my car down the track..:)

If you can find a gasket that will compress in some areas (around the 3 bolts) and not in others (between the 3 bolts) yet can hold a seal, plus can withstand the heat and back pressure, you'll be a millionaire. :)

You still have 3 weeks. Do it once and do it right....you'll be happy in the long run.

grinder

I have a 5" grinder will that work?

I might just buckle down and do it..

What I mean is you just use the wheel...not attached to a grinder.

You use the side of the wheel and with grinder wheel in hand you go back and forth over the flange, rag inside the uppipe, until the flange is flat. You'll see when it's flat by the marks left on the flange. Ditto on the turbo mounting flange.

I do this each time I remove a turbo for whatever reason and it MUST be done when mounting a new turbo to an old flange.

Ok I did it.

So, I used a 8" bench grinder hard wheel. I pulled the turbo, it was not that bad just took some time. I thought that I got it pretty flat though. When I started it up it had just a tiny, tiny exhaust leak. I hope the carbon will plug that up. It is at least not as bad as it was before. Thanks for the tip. I will do redo it after the races I think. Do you think that it will effect anything in the performance area that much?

Re: Ok I did it.

So, I used a 8" bench grinder hard wheel. I pulled the turbo, it was not that bad just took some time. I thought that I got it pretty flat though. When I started it up it had just a tiny, tiny exhaust leak. I hope the carbon will plug that up. It is at least not as bad as it was before. Thanks for the tip. I will do redo it after the races I think. Do you think that it will effect anything in the performance area that much?

Mornin' Chris,

Glad to hear you've flattened it, although it sounds like it isn't perfect yet. Just keep in mind that a small leak while idling is a bigger leak while building boost as the back pressure increases.
Now that it's close to being flat, do you have a gasket you could put in there? A small imperfection should be sealable with a gasket.

And yes you lose performance from any leak. At least while spooling, once the wastegate opens it doesn't matter since an open wastegate is in itself a leak.

redo

I think I am going to pull it off again for a redo. I am going to wait a bit till it blackens up again. I did think about spraying it with a little paint or a black marker and hitting it again to see if I got it all. One more time should do it I would think.

:)

Re: redo

I think I am going to pull it off again for a redo. I am going to wait a bit till it blackens up again. I did think about spraying it with a little paint or a black marker and hitting it again to see if I got it all. One more time should do it I would think.

:)

Great. That's the right way.

One thing....make sure you actually do it instead of just saying you will. The work will piss you off but the result won't. :) :)

Looking forward to seeing a 10 second pass at Woodburn. :)

Woodburn lol

10 sec pass LOL . I have enough problems getting traction. funds are gone so now, no slicks till next year. But I will be running in the 13s for sure. My weight of the car is 3160 1/4 gas and me in the car. I am going to the track on Friday night It should be fun.

What size slicks do you need? I have a pair that's not too bad...still has "tread" left on 'em....lol. 28x10x15. I could bring them to Woodburn and loan them to you if you like.

slicks

I would need to run the small ones. 26 x9s I think. Also my bolt pattern is 5 x 108. The volvo does not have much room for tires in the wheel wells yet :)

fender roller

I really need one of those fender rollers you can rent from the tire rack. Wish you guys lived a bit closer, you sound like fun.