External vs internal wastegate?

robertf

So is there an advantage of having a DP with external wastegate over one with internal wastegate?
Pros/cons? Thanks.

A GOOD quality name brand external wastegate is best of the best. More costly, more fabrication involved, very precise and dependable.

Internal, yeah they work. And if you do your leg work they perform well too. They don't always seal right, boost creep, slow to boost because they are leaking, puck warpage, misaligned down pipe- the list goes on.

I prefer and plan on going external again as I have in the past. Just my opinion

Whats your recommendation on a GOOD DP/WG combo? I'm putting my list together.
Thanks.

Tial makes a great gate. Wastegate well, you can use your internal down pipe but put a pipe plug I. The puck hole or modify the pipe. Not sure who carries external pipes that do NOT come with a Chinese gate on them. Look at RJC and you'll likely have to fabricate the gate onto the header. That's the best way to do it.

The pipe doesn't matter. A quality external gate plumbed off the header preferably with a good boost controller is definitely the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is there an advantage of having a DP with external wastegate over one with internal wastegate?
Pros/cons? Thanks.

Like many questions here, it is not better or best, it is what fits best will depend on various factors, for example, how is the car going to be used?

For a GN that is mainly used on the street, a factory-type wastegate will serve that purpose fine. There are various methods of boost control for this application, and most are adjustable only under the hood. However there are devices that allow changing boost on the fly from the driver's seat.

If you require small incremental changes in boost, an electronic controller with an external WG can be used which is mainly the type used in track competition. It is a LOT more expensive than controls for the factory type wastegate.

The external wastegate and controller is not cheap, and also for very accurate control an on-board CO2 system is usually needed too.

My opinion is if the car is in lots of track competition and in low 10's or better, an external should be used.

On the street cars I have dealt with, the main function of the external gate is a "cool factor" when showing off the car when the hood is open! :)

Probably the "coolest factor" in wastegates is built into the new line of Borg-Warner series of their 4 bolt turbos which that can be controlled electronically, or just set to a pre-determined boost setting, simple and easy!

This is my next project, a B-W 4 bolt turbo with some other cool "twists" for a killer street application. ;)

Just waiting for cooler weather and the 600 HP engine for it to be completed next month as the trans and suspension are installed, as are the 11" MT DOT tires, should be fun on the street!

The plan is to develop a B-W "turbo kit" using stock headers and custom downpipe for this 4 bolt upgrade.

I started using an external wastegate setup over a decade ago and have never regretted doing it. I bought a used ATR 3'' downpipe for external gate and a used Turbonetics Deltagate MK II wastegate and Turbonetics manual boost controller. I like simple so i have the boost set at 21 lbs and have never had to touch the settings for years. Like the saying goes set it and forget it. There is no KR ever and i only run 93 octane gas. I have an Alkycontrol dual nozzle setup installed on the car but have never had to use it at this boost level.

I've had an external gate since 2003. When the wastegate diaphram went on that, I got an internal again. That lasted for about a week. The boost was never controllable like the external could do. I replaced the ATR gate for a Precision 39mm gate. Sold the almost brand new internal gated downpipe pretty quick for almost what I paid for it.

Like many questions here, it is not better or best, it is what fits best will depend on various factors, for example, how is the car going to be used?

For a GN that is mainly used on the street, a factory-type wastegate will serve that purpose fine. There are various methods of boost control for this application, and most are adjustable only under the hood. However there are devices that allow changing boost on the fly from the driver's seat.

If you require small incremental changes in boost, an electronic controller with an external WG can be used which is mainly the type used in track competition. It is a LOT more expensive than controls for the factory type wastegate.

The external wastegate and controller is not cheap, and also for very accurate control an on-board CO2 system is usually needed too.

My opinion is if the car is in lots of track competition and in low 10's or better, an external should be used.

On the street cars I have dealt with, the main function of the external gate is a "cool factor" when showing off the car when the hood is open! :)

Probably the "coolest factor" in wastegates is built into the new line of Borg-Warner series of their 4 bolt turbos which that can be controlled electronically, or just set to a pre-determined boost setting, simple and easy!

This is my next project, a B-W 4 bolt turbo with some other cool "twists" for a killer street application. ;)

Just waiting for cooler weather and the 600 HP engine for it to be completed next month as the trans and suspension are installed, as are the 11" MT DOT tires, should be fun on the street!

The plan is to develop a B-W "turbo kit" using stock headers and custom downpipe for this 4 bolt upgrade.

Hey Nick. Any progress on that?

Very interested.

Every time I get a external gate car to work on, they either over boost or have boost creep. Only after extensive porting to the turbine house and the pipe flange they work. IMHO External gate has no place on a down pipe. Should come right off the header.

Every time I get a external gate car to work on, they either over boost or have boost creep. Only after extensive porting to the turbine house and the pipe flange they work. IMHO External gate has no place on a down pipe. Should come right off the header.
But to be fair they would have boost creep with internal gate also if the hole is too small.

Hey Nick. Any progress on that?

Very interested.

Yes, the project is moving along nicely!

The spare engine for my race car is installed and running, and the built trans and a 3600 NL stall converter is also in place.

I decided to orient the turbo with the inlet facing front. and the inner headlight will be removed for a direct ram air effect.

A set of custom headers will be used for my car, but will also do a mock-up with a stock header with the EFR turbo.

The custom downpipe will not have a 90 degree bend, but a very smooth flow straight to the exhaust system.

It was necessary to relocate the battery to the trunk where it should be anyway!

I also decided to use another favorite of mine which is a Powerstroke front mount intercooler which is extremely efficient, and being relative thin it allows excellent air flow for cooling.

I have used this intercooler on a couple low 9 sec. builds, and know it performs excellent.

The car is running with a stock turbo, but hopefully I will have the B-W turbo this month to complete phase 1.

At that point the XFI will be installed and set up for both pump gas and e-85 as our complete fuel system kit has also been installed.

Powerstroke.jpg