Failed NJ Emissions...Suggestions ?

Jbenn911

Still tryin to learn !!
Greetings all...new owner here..Took my 87 to get inspected and failed for HC's and CO's(both about double the standard)..My car has alot of work done to it(turbo, exhaust, chips, injectors, etc). It appears to be in good tune(runs GREAT, good mileage, plugs, air filter, wires, EGR loko ok). The exhaust is a 2.5 inch dual system running back from some kind of high flow cat(unknown make, model)..My question is, where should I start looking to get this thing back down to passable levels ? A buddy suggested changing the plugs and trying to get a stock prom in to replace the Dynotech chip that's in there..Any ideas ?? Thanks alot !!

Jim

First off, please list your modifications, what turbo, what injectors, chip, cam etc.,,,. Also, posting the results/passing standards will also help (HC, CO, NOx, CO2 and O2). What type of scan tool are you using? and does anything look out of the ordinary on your scan tool? If you don't have a scan tool, you should probably invest in one.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
First off, please list your modifications, what turbo, what injectors, chip, cam etc.,,,. Also, posting the results/passing standards will also help (HC, CO, NOx, CO2 and O2). What type of scan tool are you using? and does anything look out of the ordinary on your scan tool? If you don't have a scan tool, you should probably invest in one.

Ok...therein lies part of the problem..what exactly I have..bought it from the widow of the original owner...Everything was done by a place called Dynotech here in NJ and I got ahold of them today. Stock Engine/Heads/Cam..HD Valve springs, Stage III Turbonetics Turbo, 36# injectors, all we can tell about the chip is that its a Red Armstrong 36# Chip,(has R93 on it and a couple of number 6's and a 4 in the corners of the red sticker) modified Plenum and Throttle Body. unknown at this time what the fuel pressure is and appears to be a normal FP regulator, not adjustable..Exhaust is an ATR setup. 2.5" cat, back to dual 2.5" exhaust. Downpipe appears to be 3"...Inspection station results are:
Standard Reading
NOx 1146 691
HC 152 307
CO .86 1.48
CO2 13.1 (not a pass or fail)
O2 .8 (not a pass or fail)

All I have is a code reader..no scantool..Guy at Dynotech suggested lowering fuel pressure and putting in another chip(there is a "standard" chip in the glove box from Dynotech). Hope this helps you help me ! Thanks !!!

What are the last three numbers on the fuel pressure regulator? 233 or 237. 233 is stock GN and 237 is stock TTA. The static fuel pressure of a 237 is more than the 233 (by around 8-10 psi). The Reds chip requires 42-45 static fuel pressure and using a 233 regulator would IMHO seem out of the question. You may try the tune up as suggested. There aren't any vacuum leaks? How does it idle? Is the IAC and TPS set correct? Hows the compression? I run cold plugs on my engine (CR43TS as opposed to a CR44TS), gapped to 0.035 of an inch. Some guys even run a CR42TS plug (a little colder). How are the plug wires? This is just a short list of things to check.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
What are the last three numbers on the fuel pressure regulator? 233 or 237. 233 is stock GN and 237 is stock TTA. The static fuel pressure of a 237 is more than the 233 (by around 8-10 psi). The Reds chip requires 42-45 static fuel pressure and using a 233 regulator would IMHO seem out of the question. You may try the tune up as suggested. There aren't any vacuum leaks? How does it idle? Is the IAC and TPS set correct? Hows the compression? I run cold plugs on my engine (CR43TS as opposed to a CR44TS), gapped to 0.035 of an inch. Some guys even run a CR42TS plug (a little colder). How are the plug wires? This is just a short list of things to check.

ok..the FP regulator is actually a standard regulator, not adjustable..took it to the shop and the mechanics id'd it as a normal stock replacement part(all brass coloring, no adjustment screws, etc)..also, did find one last receipt for a GNX O2 sensor..no vacuum leaks, and according to MODIS Scanner, IAC, TPS, and EGR are in order..and havent done a compression test..

A stock fuel pressure regulator is not really meant for a Reds93 chip. You should at least use a TTA (237) regulator for that chip. What doe the BLMs look like at idle and cruising down the road?
Also, what kind of O2 crosscounts at idle and cruise? You may also want to see if Jim Testa will chime in and lend some insight.

I would check to see if the cat. is still good.

May be hollow by now.

If you haven't verified that it's still working.

ok..will go to the shop tomorrow after I replace the chip and do a road test with the MODIS hooked up, change the plugs and check the BLM's and o2 sensor count..other than disconnecting the exhaust, there is no other way to check whether the cat is hollowed, no ?

Originally posted by salvageV6
I would check to see if the cat. is still good.

May be hollow by now.

If you haven't verified that it's still working.

Good point Salvage, I would have suggested that after all the basics are in order. Most accurate method of testing cat is intrusive (drill pilot hole in front of and behind cat)and measure emission. There should be a reduction behid the cat. Otherwise a temp test will also suffice. Take car out on a good freeway run after it's been in closed loop for a while. Then pull to the side of the road and use a digital or non-contact pyrometer and measure the temps before and after the cat. It should be hotter (by at least 100 degrees) at the back. Also, if you have checked all the stuff we talked about above and during the retest, the emissions drop to almost passing, but O2 will not drop below 0.3%, then the cat is bad or on it's way out. CO2 should rise above 14.3%.

I corrected the post above. The higher the CO2, the more efficient combustion (emissions wise only).

I just passed in CT with a good well actually new Random Tech. 3" HI-FLo cat. and 55lb.s modded ECM and extender extreme chip and the translator, K+N off the bumper, etc.

No change from daily driven.

HC was 41 ppm.

CO was 0% :)

And the NOX was 908 out of 921 cause the extender chip don't have EGR operation although mine is still on the car.

I would lean to a bad cat. for the high CO and HC's.

If you can get the back 4 bolts off and pull the exhaust down you should be able to see if it's hollow or not.

Good first step check anyway.

I passed emissions with a Reds 93 chip and stock injectors in CT with my other car the GN.

Thank you all for your input! I'll be running to my buddies shop and doing a tune-up and checking the cat's later this morning..There is a local re-inspection garage who's offered to let me do emissions checks on my car to see how it's progessing. Hopefully it will be something silly and not the 200+ dollar ATR cat that is bad..JB