Failed Virginia Emmisions

blavigne

Well, I just got my first GN, and went to get the emmisions inspection and the *******s failed me. The real BS part is that I passed the actual emmisions testing, but they apparently do an underhood, and failed me for "missing or disconnected parts: Positive Crankcase Ventilation System, and Fuel Evaporative System."

I assume the PCV failure is because the valve covers have breathers instead of a return line to the intake manifold. As to the fuel one, I have no clue. Unfortunatly, I am currently in no condition to work on the car myself, (2 herniated disks) and am curious if anyone might have any idea what I can expect the damage to be for "correcting" something like this. Any input would be appreciated.

I'd assume Fuel Evap System is referring to the charcoal canister. I'm suprised they'd really do an in-depth check of that system, unless of course it was missing all together for them to notice.

emissions probs

Hey there, sorry to hear about your dilemma. Up until about 8 monts ago I owned a repair shop in Annandale that did e-checks and I am still an inspector so I know what your are dealing with. Yeah, most inspectors {non G/N owners} will fail for open breathers and missing components. Drop me an E-mail and maybe i can help. annandalemobil@aol.com

GNTIM said:
Yeah, most inspectors {non G/N owners} will fail for open breathers and missing components. Drop me an E-mail and maybe i can help. annandalemobil@aol.com

The PCV system should fail the visual portion of the emissions inspection if the system is tampered or incomplete. What are you saying? But before you answer that question, I work for a state agency that regulates the automotive repair industry and its smog check program. Who do you think may be watching or looking at the contents of this post from the state in which you reside in? I'll ask you to review the sticky at the top of this forum and remember just how public bulletin boards are.

Drive south a little. I've never heard of emissions in Richmond? What's that?
I got a car inspected here....no wipers, no bumpers, no cat, no seatbelts (five point harness), $15.

GN passes every time, empty cat, no emissions hooked up. I've never heard anything about it.

Scrape off the rejection sticker and try again somewhere else. (South)

emissions

The PCV system should fail the visual portion of the emissions inspection if the system is tampered or incomplete. What are you saying? But before you answer that question, I work for a state agency that regulates the automotive repair industry and its smog check program. Who do you think may be watching or looking at the contents of this post from the state in which you reside in? I'll ask you to review the sticky at the top of this forum and remember just how public bulletin boards are.
Well, before you jump to conclutions about my honesty and integrity you should know that I have a ton of parts for these cars including evap system and stock breathers ect. that I would use at my shop to help alot of Buick guys out. Anyhow, looking at your sig. about your car I guarantee that it is not in compliance, especially in California and you work for the state??. :eek:

see the reason they failed you is techincaly for emissions, yes the emissions coming out of your exhaust were up to specs- but EVAP and PCV systems dont effect that, they prevent hydrocarbons coming from the fuel system and internal engine from getting into the atmosphere

your evap system regulates pressures in the fuel tank- when your sucking fuel out it helps fill the tank with air- and when your putting gas in it allows the air in the tank to escape through the charcoal canister system. if there was no evap- and just a valve then you would be emitting hyrdocarbons into the atmosphere.

same with the PCV- the system allows your hydrocarbons from blow by be recirculated into the combustion chamber so they may be burned and go through the cat to be converted to less harmfull gasses.

reinstall the EVAP- it doesnt hurt anything, it only helps the environment. i understand the reson behind the pcv, but maybe just put it on, then you can do as you wish after taking it through inspection.

In order to bypass emissions he needs an address in a non emissions county.
If you don't know someone forget it. If he lives in Alex city limits they have
nothing better to do but check county stickers at nite.

turbo2nr said:
Drive south a little. I've never heard of emissions in Richmond? What's that?
I got a car inspected here....no wipers, no bumpers, no cat, no seatbelts (five point harness), $15.

GN passes every time, empty cat, no emissions hooked up. I've never heard anything about it.

Scrape off the rejection sticker and try again somewhere else. (South)
The counties up in NOVA have emissions testing, This is in addition to the safety inspection. He cannot registar his car without it, so it really has nothing to do with the sticker in teh window.
For us out in the middle of nowhere (Orange) there are no issues like that to deal with. :D

It shouldn't be to bad, you can call Brian Weavy at Gbodyparts.com to get the parts. That stuff should be pretty inexspensive considering most people take them off. Good luck!

GNTIM, just noticed you posted on this thread. How is the new business going? You guys adjusted my windows and fixed the vacuum lines on my GN last year. Good to see you are still tinkering with your GN.

Thanks for the replies and info. I was wondering about a good source for the parts and forgot all about GBody. Gonna get in contact with him and see where we end up.