False Knock or not?

mojilla

What else could cause knock if my o2's are in the low to mid 800's. My o2's at wide open throttle are around 810-825. I am still getting knock somtimes. Somtimes i will get 1-6 degree of knock. My car is stock except for fuel pump, valve springs, and power plate. If it is not false knock, what else would cause knock under a some what rich condition?
THANKS
Joe Miller

A rich condition will not stop knock. What are your boost settings and timing at WOT. Either of these could cause you problems.

If they are what we would consider street settings ,I would suggest that you put some race gas and give it a go.If it doesnt go away then its false.

i agree...throw in some octane and see what happens. sometime these problems are hard to figure out if it is false knock. i've seen est modules cause this...also bad knock sensors. remember, that knock sensor has to be torqued to 19ft lbs....it makes a difference believe it or not.

good luck man

I think you mean 14 ft lbs. Just for the heck of it check your tranny fluid. I recently replaced my engine and was getting lots of knock. downshifting from 2nd to 1sst got about 20 degrees. shifting up from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd I would get alot.I have a scan master which would show me this. boost varied from 15 to 23 with used of boost controller. f.p. was 42 line off. and was steady all the time. tps was .42 idle and 4.74 wot. o2 where between the 810 850 mark.

Then I forgot about when the car was sitting idle for 6+ months the tranny jack settled. This caused me to leak some fluid. Cleaned it up and kinda forgot about it. Awhile back I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out,the knock that is. Remembered the fluid loss and decided to check level. It was over a qt and 1/2 low. filled it back up and got rid of knock.

Don't ask me to explain this, but I'm up to 20 lbs + of boost with anywhere from .7 to 3 degrees of knock now.

Sorry for the long post. just something to check. Jace

Thanks for the replies. I have the stock chip and my boost is at 15 pounds. The car has 108,000 miles on it with the same knock sensors from 1989. I have not tried putting in higher octane yet. I do know that my driver side motor mount is bad, and I am waiting for some one to come out with polyuerthane mounts for the tta. I did put a tourqe strap on the car and that helped the knock, but not completely.
THANKS
Joe Miller