FAST (Dos vs Windows)

Big Bird R/T

Is it my computer (600 mz. Compac Laptop) or has anyone noticed the differance in reaction time between the Dos and Windows versions of FAST? ie: While showing the dasboard in either version and watching the response of the TPS reading, the Dos version is much quicker to respond in the read out. Thought about trying Windows XP and see if that helps. Any comments?

Ron (BigBird R/T)
99 Dakota R/T (4400 lbs)
Low 11's

Exact same results here....my laptop is slower than yours though.

The dash readings in the Windows version were painfully slow. My TPS would show a change literally 2 seconds after I had already depressed the gas pedal....I have been using the DOS version ever since.

This is one of those painful, unavoidable problems with the Windows OS. Because of the way that Windows handles the communication port, C-Com WP will be very slow to respond if you have more than 14 sensors on the screen. If you open up the VE table and use a dashboard with 14 sensors or less, you will notice that the super-duper-sluggish update problem will go away. The 14 sensor limit applies to all open Windows in the program - for example, if you have the VE table open with an 8 sensor dash AND the spark table open with an 8 sensor dash, you have 16 sensors being updated and things will get slow.

Even with 14 sensors or less, this program will be a little bit slower than the DOS version. Windows has so much overhead happening "behind the scenes" that it's difficult, if not impossible, to match the performance of the DOS software. More CPU horsepower in your laptop will help out.

Craig

ok i have a question i have a new felpro unit and would like to use the dos software w/ it cause that is what everone i talk to is familar with is this availble the only thind i seem to have is a windows version

shawn

There ya go Shawn:) (have you polished that plaque through the anadizing yet)Now some of us NorthWest guys can relate to what you see on you computer screen:D I didnt give you much help when we were at Vegas and sure didnt have the time to learn a new progam but now we can help:(