Fast xfi controlling boost

434nova

How does the xfi control boost? Does it just need a solenoid to work and to wire it up? I am running an external turbonetics wastegate. Also does it have the function to be able to control boost by gear or by mph? If it doesn't have those functions what electronic boost controller can control boost by mph cause that is what I am looking to do with the use of a wheel speed sensor.

How does the xfi control boost? Does it just need a solenoid to work and to wire it up? I am running an external turbonetics wastegate. Also does it have the function to be able to control boost by gear or by mph? If it doesn't have those functions what electronic boost controller can control boost by mph cause that is what I am looking to do with the use of a wheel speed sensor.
You need co2 to control the gate.

You need co2 to control the gate.
You dont need C02 to run the gate. I sue the XFI boost control with a single solenoid and have great control with an external gate using manifold pressure.
Co2 would be required if you wanted to make more boost than back pressure allow.

I would run CO2. If you want to run higher boost you will need a bigger wastegate spring to overcome backpressure and have good spoolup. This will limit the minimum boost you can run on a launch. CO2 will allow you to run low boost when you want and hogh boost when you want.

As far as XFI controlling boost, you will need to get all the numbers dialed in for your car and save them so you know what to enter. Or just be like everyone else and get a standalone boost controller thats easy to use or you will end up like someone here in North Carolina at the TB.com nats who had XFI boost control and no one here knew how to set it up and we couldn't get a hold of the two people in the country who knew what numbers to put in so he was fubar'd.

You dont need C02 to run the gate. I sue the XFI boost control with a single solenoid and have great control with an external gate using manifold pressure.
Co2 would be required if you wanted to make more boost than back pressure allow.
From what I gathered he wants to be able to control power to the tire.the co2 with a good boost controller is a sure thing and is great for that for some of the reasons murphster touched on.even the turbo cars with low backpressure up here still use co2 to control the gate mainly the radial cars but if your having success using manifold pressure that's cool.

From what I gathered he wants to be able to control power to the tire.the co2 with a good boost controller is a sure thing and is great for that for some of the reasons murphster touched on.even the turbo cars with low backpressure up here still use co2 to control the gate mainly the radial cars but if your having success using manifold pressure that's cool.
I won't argue that ultimately with Co2 you have wider control of boost, answering that "you need Co2" to use the XFI Boost controller may think people with bit be able to use it without Co2.
Currently I am launching off the foist brake and have complete control to 30+ #s with no overshoot and good ramping.

I would run CO2. If you want to run higher boost you will need a bigger wastegate spring to overcome backpressure and have good spoolup. This will limit the minimum boost you can run on a launch. CO2 will allow you to run low boost when you want and hogh boost when you want.

As far as XFI controlling boost, you will need to get all the numbers dialed in for your car and save them so you know what to enter. Or just be like everyone else and get a standalone boost controller thats easy to use or you will end up like someone here in North Carolina at the TB.com nats who had XFI boost control and no one here knew how to set it up and we couldn't get a hold of the two people in the country who knew what numbers to put in so he was fubar'd.
There are more than 2 people he could have called

Then, the people that know can share the settings .

When I figure it out, I will share everything.

It seems like certain people and vendors protect information like it is intellectual property.

If a person is rich and has lots of money , they will pay for everything. But normal people takes then years to save for their projects.

I would like to thank all of the members and vendors that share knowledge including this board.

Juan

Then, the people that know can share the settings .

When I figure it out, I will share everything.

It seems like certain people and vendors protect information like it is intellectual property.

If a person is rich and has lots of money , they will pay for everything. But normal people takes then years to save for their projects.

I would like to thank all of the members and vendors that share knowledge including this board.

Juan

What strategy are you using? There must be a starting point in order to provide good info.
For my set-up I use manifold pressure to control boost from a range of 15 psi min to 30 psi max. After that I use another solenoid that taps into my CO2 supply from the shifter. Using closed loop analog 8 I use slew settings at 1000 and PID settings at 100,60,30 and seems to control well.
If your not using a pressure sensor than you need to control in open loop mode and that will just need experimenting by the end user since back pressure and wastegate springs will have an infinite amount of variables. The best thing to do is consult with the help file first and will typically answer most questions.
AG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that's two people, who's the other one?

I can't believe that between this forum and the Fast forum that there are only a few people that successfully used the XFI boost controller. Does anyone read the help file and dive into it themselves before asking questions ?? Maybe the 2 people that know were ambitious enough to do so.
To fail and ask questions is perfectly acceptable but to just expect easy answers and call out the experts without diving into it and not have any information available about how it was tried and failed is just plain lazy.
AG

Last edited:
I won't argue that ultimately with Co2 you have wider control of boost, answering that "you need Co2" to use the XFI Boost controller may think people with bit be able to use it without Co2.
Currently I am launching off the foist brake and have complete control to 30+ #s with no overshoot and good ramping.
I'm talking transbrakes and progressive controllers to have complete control over the ramp for consistency track or street.the xfi going to do that?and if so how hard is it to setup vs a good co2/boost controller setup?

Otto just to be clear my post was about needing co2 for complete control over the gate for the op full intent listed in his post,not in running the gate.my post has no intent to discredit or offend.

I'm talking transbrakes and progressive controllers to have complete control over the ramp for consistency track or street.the xfi going to do that?and if so how hard is it to setup vs a good co2/boost controller setup?

I can't make a comparison vs. a stand alone system but I do have some experience with the XFI boost control and in the Power Adder Boost control mode you can do a time based ramp that triggers from the clutch flag/transbrake release. So far with my experience it seems to work well.
AG.

I can't make a comparison vs. a stand alone system but I do have some experience with the XFI boost control and in the Power Adder Boost control mode you can do a time based ramp that triggers from the clutch flag/transbrake release. So far with my experience it seems to work well.
AG.
Ok that's interesting if it's working and has the consistency.its a much different approach then I'm used to seeing.

Hey, I'm just busting balls as I don't see many people using XFI boost control except for advanced tuners. After doing some reading up on it I would hook up CO2 or an air pump and run it in open loop to get started.

From what I read you would first run off wastegate spring only to see what boost you have and then set your regulator to 2x the boost you want to add to the boost you were getting from wastegate spring only. So if you get 10psi on wastegate only and want to run 25psi total, you need to add 15psi to your wastegate to get 25psi. So set your CO2 regulator to 30psi (15psi x 2) . This will become your 100% duty cycle point and you won't be able to over boost past this. Then you just set your boost table duty cycle % vs TPS %. You could probably start with a line 0% DC at 10% TPS and 100% DC at 90% TPS and go from there. Not like these curves are all over the place so its just a guess.

The other option would be min MAP setting. Putting a number other than 0 means it will switch to 100% DC until it hits the entered MAP setting. Great for spoolup because you want max pressure on the wastegate while spooling. Trial and error as to where you'd want to set it but I'd guess somewhere a little lower than the desired boost, but if it slows down the ramp too much I'd set it higher.

The big drawback for this simple mode is that it kicks in once you go off idle TPS or RPM. You'd go through a lot of CO2 on the street if you keep the CO2 on whereas other boost controllers usually wait to activate at 2 or 3 psi boost. I'd recommend an air pump in the trunk for street duty so you'd have an endless supply of air. Another drawback is that there is no simple launch mode, you'd have to go into Power Adder settings...

Which means to make full use of all the functions, timed stages, launch mode, etc you'd have to go into Power Adder features which is another level of functions and you have to make sure you aren't correcting the A/F tables inadvertently and have all the correct boxes checked, etc. So you'll be knowing your way around XFI at this point and be heavily involved. The good thing with using XFI boost control would be that you'd have all your info in one single log and you'd know what everything was set at for future reference. Oh, and closed loop has even more settings for controlling the boost to the top of the wastegate instead of just working with open loop duty cycle. I've read open loop has the fastest response though.

I think this is why most people use a standalone boost controller.... The interface is pretty simple and easy to adjust for launch and after launch boost (and stages if you need them). Add a clutch flag to your XFI logs and you have a starting point for your boost controller timing. And you don't need to know much about XFI to get it working.

Last edited:
Great replies. Only thing I would change from Murphster post is, I would hook the transbrake to PA Hold not clutch flag. This way you can eventually run progressive without timer starting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Sub'd as this is a long term goal for me at some point. Are you talking about the help file from the xfi software? Need to go read this

I can't believe that between this forum and the Fast forum that there are only a few people that successfully used the XFI boost controller. Does anyone read the help file and dive into it themselves before asking questions ?? Maybe the 2 people that know were ambitious enough to do so.
To fail and ask questions is perfectly acceptable but to just expect easy answers and call out the experts without diving into it and not have any information available about how it was tried and failed is just plain lazy.
AG

Sub'd as this is a long term goal for me at some point. Are you talking about the help file from the xfi software? Need to go read this

The help file has a lot of good info but sometimes is not clear. I was trying to make a point that this is the first place to dig for info before calling out the experts for all the answers.
AG