favorite turbo for stock heads and cam?

I ran a TE44 with stock heads and stock cam for over a year. Had a best of 7.19 at 94mph in the 1/8. Switched to a jb 6266 and ran a 7.00 at 97. Leaving at 5 pounds of boost with both. TE 44 is a great option though. With the 6266, I had to get boost up or it would lag like crazy. Would run 7.50s if I only built 2 pounds of boost. The TE44 would still run 7.30s if I left at just 2 pounds.

Last edited:
I ran a TE44 with stick heads and stick cam for over a year. Had a best of 7.19 at 94mph in the 1/8. Switched to a jb 6266 and ran a 7.00 at 97. Leaving at 5 pounds of boost with both. TE 44 is a great option though. With the 6266, I had to get boost up or it would lag like crazy. Would run 7.50s if I only built 2 pounds of boost. The TE44 would still run 7.30s if I left at just 2 pounds.
Agree, ive had similar findings.. the bigger the turbo gets with stock stuff the slower you become.

Last edited:
I ran a TE44 with stock heads and stock cam for over a year. Had a best of 7.19 at 94mph in the 1/8. Switched to a jb 6266 and ran a 7.00 at 97. Leaving at 5 pounds of boost with both. TE 44 is a great option though. With the 6266, I had to get boost up or it would lag like crazy. Would run 7.50s if I only built 2 pounds of boost. The TE44 would still run 7.30s if I left at just 2 pounds.
That 7.19 is like low 11s right? That's awesome, nice work.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Anything special about the combo that you can share?

Nothing special. Ran E85 which allowed me to run 26 pounds of boost and my PTC converter were the two main things for that combo. , , And being able to build 5 pounds of boost at the line before launch. Unopened motor, stretched stock location intercooler and 60 pound injectors. Full weight car. Here's a couple videos from the tbnats last year. Don't have video of the 7.19 pass but the two in the video were low 7.20s.

Nothing special. Ran E85 which allowed me to run 26 pounds of boost and my PTC converter were the two main things for that combo. , , And being able to build 5 pounds of boost at the line before launch. Unopened motor, stretched stock location intercooler and 60 pound injectors. Full weight car. Here's a couple videos from the tbnats last year. Don't have video of the 7.19 pass but the two in the video were low 7.20s.
Did you run the PTC with both Turbos? Non lock? Stall at 0?

Oh perfect ....Were you locking that? I have a 9x11 that's 3000@0, hopefully it can yield similar results

Forgot at what mph it was locking but yes, it was locking. What's the rest of your combo?

Forgot at what mph it was locking but yes, it was locking. What's the rest of your combo?
TE44(precision),msd50s, stretch slic, all billet trans with brake and just got some 275mt pro radials.

I haven't had it to a track yet, we don't have e85 and i have not got to an Alky kit yet...So I'll run. 110 or whatever it takes to have no knock....But still low 11s isn't easy so I'm sure you have it tuned right. You running a 5.7? Logger?

I broke a 10.99 @ 122 with a gen2 6266 S cover. Unopened longblock. 93/meth 36ish psi boost (maxed out 3.5 bar) although I really didnt pick up much power the last few psi and I believe because the engine was above its power peak. 17 blade PTC which wasnt tight enough. Flash stall around 5150rpm and I was shifting into 4th. Obviously not a ideal set up but breaking into 10s with 93/meth on my unopened longblock was my goal and I got it. Now I'm building a 4.1 which will be quite a different game with race ported TA SE heads, etc [emoji4]

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I broke a 10.99 @ 122 with a gen2 6266 S cover. Unopened longblock. 93/meth 36ish psi boost (maxed out 3.5 bar) although I really didnt pick up much power the last few psi and I believe because the engine was above its power peak. 17 blade PTC which wasnt tight enough. Flash stall around 5150rpm and I was shifting into 4th. Obviously not a ideal set up but breaking into 10s with 93/meth on my unopened longblock was my goal and I got it. Now I'm building a 4.1 which will be quite a different game with race ported TA SE heads, etc [emoji4]

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
This is a pretty interesting read, and great times by the way. I guess the interesting part is i think most of the very experianced guys will tell us to stick with smaller turbos for stock heads/cam. That being said you guys are going faster with bigger turbos...But not a lot faster, obviously the potential of a bigger turbo is diminished by poor flowing heads but it still makes more power? So what's the trade off, are the much bigger turbos giving up some driveability or "fun" to make a little more power? Thoughts?

This is a pretty interesting read, and great times by the way. I guess the interesting part is i think most of the very experianced guys will tell us to stick with smaller turbos for stock heads/cam. That being said you guys are going faster with bigger turbos...But not a lot faster, obviously the potential of a bigger turbo is diminished by poor flowing heads but it still makes more power? So what's the trade off, are the much bigger turbos giving up some driveability or "fun" to make a little more power? Thoughts?

Slower spoolup and harder to control boost is one tradeoff. I think getting the converter right for the combo and how your going to run it is crucially important and there are guys on here way smarter than me. My converter is too loose for me for the power / rpm I was trying to accomplish but if say I was running 10 psi less boost or 600 rpm higher with beter cam and heads it may have been perfect. Its my fault I told Dusty I wanted to slec a converter that would work well when I do heads and cam. I should have just went went with a 15 or 16 blade. We'll see how it does with the new combo

Last edited:
Slower spoolup and harder to control boost is one tradeoff. I think getting the converter right for the combo and how your going to run it is crucially important and there are guys on here way smarter than me. My converter is too loose for me for the power / rpm I was trying to accomplish but if say I was running 10 psi less boost or 600 rpm higher with beter cam and heads it would have been perfect. Its my fault I told Dusty I wanted to slec a converter that would work well when I do heads and cam. I should have just went went with a 15 or 16 blade. We'll see how it does with the new combo

Well i think your in the same position as a lot of us. When we buy turbos, converters...So on... We sometimes but for the future and deal with the imperfections to use it now. That and we all want a cool new tech turbo!![emoji13]

achalmersman, just curious, what 60' were you running on the 10.99 pass? Were you leaving on a lot of boost? Trans brake?
I'm in the mid 11's with a 60 and stock block unported heads, home built trans with Husek LU. Trying to get my 60' lower.....aren't we all :D

achalmersman, just curious, what 60' were you running on the 10.99 pass? Were you leaving on a lot of boost? Trans brake?
I'm in the mid 11's with a 60 and stock block unported heads, home built trans with Husek LU. Trying to get my 60' lower.....aren't we all :D
f1e1dad51640e7b437639461d18baac2.jpg

Ive had a 1.54. Im not a very experienced track driver. I believe using the alky disable feature during 2step would help my 60. Foot brake, I believe about 5psi but not totally sure. TR6 2 step.