Fender well refinishing.

Toddmc66

Import punisher.
I have the engine compartment stripped down and want to refinish the plastic fender wells. The plastic is in great shape but that nice black color is all faded and scratchy. Has anyone had any luck with getting these back to there new look? any products out there or paint that you would recommend.

Mike, that looks great. Can you tell us a little abut your prep work??

First, I used a degreaser to get out all the grime from years of build up, and power washed it. 2nd, I used a scotch bright pad and aggressively went over the entire fender. When I was done that I used brake cleaner and sprayed down the entire fender and hit it with the air gun hooked to my compressor before the brake cleaner dried. Then proceeded to paint it. I ended up giving it 2 coats.

Just a suggestion -- rather than painting the fender well, I have used carbon fiber vinyl wrap to cover my driver's side fenderwell. I've received positive comments from those who take notice.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
What you are looking for is called Duplicolor Trim paint in the green can. That will make it look like the original factory color. If you prep it properly and brake clean it before spraying it, it will come out fantastic.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9384741/01036

Awesome job and process. Question - did you do just the side you see from under the hood or also the side you see from behind the tire/wheel? I want to do this also but I'm most concerned with the wheel well behind the tire/wheel.

Awesome job and process. Question - did you do just the side you see from under the hood or also the side you see from behind the tire/wheel? I want to do this also but I'm most concerned with the wheel well behind the tire/wheel.

I just painted the entire engine side of the fender. The inner wheel well side where the tire area is, I shot with rubberized undercoat spray.

First, I used a degreaser to get out all the grime from years of build up, and power washed it. 2nd, I used a scotch bright pad and aggressively went over the entire fender. When I was done that I used brake cleaner and sprayed down the entire fender and hit it with the air gun hooked to my compressor before the brake cleaner dried. Then proceeded to paint it. I ended up giving it 2 coats.
THANK YOU !!