Finally emissions free in AZ...new law

MSDGN

The new law for cars 15 years or older and insured as classic/collectible to be emissions exempt is finally here...the law was passed by AZ gov't then held up with the EPA for years...EPA let it go last December and now actually April 2 it's good...my registration was up on my 87 T in March...I have a TSM engine in it so no way was it going to pass emissions...I have the car insured as a classic/collectible so I got a letter from my insurance stating that...took it into the MVD and BAM...new sticker for 2 more years and no emissions required...so I never have to worry about emissions again for the T and the GN...this is great news for the Turbo Regal guys in the Phoenix area...we're free!!

Hey DarkSide, you want me to list you as a tennant where mail will be sent...i.e. the public storage bin in Phoenix?

I wish Texas would jump on that wagon.

I've been hearing about this for the past year, but what's the mile limitation on the classic registration. I would like to do this, but I still would like to be able to drive & not worry about running over the milage limits.

I have my cars titled in AZ

in Northern Az, ( kingman) and never has been smog inspection,
so all 4 turbo regals are breathing free!
I have a house there, so its legit.
cruzn57

That's great! When the time comes and I can't find a smog station. I'll register there with my friends address.

I think the mileage limit on my classic insurance is something like 2000 or 2500miles a year...this is with State Farm...but they have never checked...I drive my cars all around Phoenix...shows...race track...cruising...etc...if you're going to try and get classic insurance for a car you drive a lot...not a good idea...don't know what the mileage limits are for other insurance companies...

Sorry to bring up an old post. I recently moved to AZ from IL where our cars exempt. Are the 2017 rules still applicable? I don't have a cat and I run an E85.

I'm not up to speed on Az. smog laws & registration any longer.

It varied by County. I believe that whatever Counties Phoenix & Tucson were located in had emissions testing.

I don't have my 87 T anymore but my 87 GN is still insured as "Classic" and I don't have to go through emissions. I think the laws are the same as they were back when I posted this. As I had stated though probably not a good idea for a daily driver. Since I posted this years ago I have had to report my mileage to my insurance company so they would know if I was driving it a lot.

Quick update, went to AZ MVD this past week in Scottsdale. I explained the car is limited use and with the car being insured by Haggerty, I didn't have to go through emissions testing.

Been like that for years.. congrats

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I need to move to AZ. I'm tired of having to smog 30 year old cars that rarely get driven. Doesn't the CARB have something better to do with their time?

Neal