Finally tried NOS...RESULTS!!!!!!!

streetknight

DCVING
Bare with me if this gets long. We were at the BOP race at Reynolds this weekend and I decided to finally spray the car.

It had went several low 11.70's @ high 115MPH and a couple low 116's on the motor. all with crappy mid 1.60 short times.

I had the juice jetted 50 horse. I usually run 24-25psi of boost so I took 4 rounds out of the wastegate and left the fuel where it was. On the first pass I launched normally and grabbed the button in second gear. Car ran a 11.66 @ 117. The boost was still in line, but it was wwaaaaayyyyyyyyy on the FAT side.

I took some fuel out of the reg. since i had no smaller fuel jets for the n2o. on the next pass the car went an 11.60 @ 119.75.

Next pass i just built 4psi at the launch and hit the button. (INSTA BOOST) car shredded the tires and ran a 1.69 60ft. and 11.56 @ 120.10MPH. 2 back to back runs with almost identical slips.

The next morning i played with the fuel some more and launced with 13psi and hit the button in 2nd gear and it went 1.67 60ft and 11.45 @ 121.3MPH.

then I launced at 4psi again and grabbed the button and it went an 11.41 @ 120.6, but with a 1.74 60ft and still went a 7.35 1/8 mile @ 96.8MPH

The car has had some low 1.50 60fts. and i think with some luck and tuning and maybe 100 horse pills this stock motor could go some 11.teens in the 122-123 range.

Sorry to be long winded, but i promised results when i tried it. and here they are. Sorry it took so long.

Nice times! 5 MPH is a nice pickup on that small of a shot. Fun stuff, ain't it?

FWIW, go a bit conservative on backing off on the FP- you should run just a smidge richer with nitrous than without. Because distribution isn't perfect (and even less-so with nitrous), all you need is 1 cylinder to go lean for 1 intake stroke to cause a big bang. I assume you're reading plugs to determine that you're running rich?

The other thing to watch for is fluctuating bottle temperatures, especially this time of year. A 20 degree difference can give you about a 20% difference in bottle pressure- if it was cold that night and you tuned for it, then when the bottle is warmer next time you'll lean out due to a higher bottle pressure injecting more nitrous.

FWIW, my engine is out of the car right now awaiting all new pistons due to a single cylinder going lean for a single cycle... (and yes, I intend to keep right on spraying, albeit with a few changes to make sure that never happens again). Feel free to email me if you aren't positive that you won't be going lean! I've learned a lot lately and would be happy to share my experience.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

thanks for reply...

Bob,

I appreciate the info. I'm a n2o guy from way back, but i'll admit that i this is my first fuel inj. car less all a turbo. And I was only watching my o2 counts. I had no knock and o2's in the .930 range on my OTC 4000. but next time I'll start pulling plugs.

i do at least always make sure i have a constant bottle pressure in the 900-950 psi range before I pull in the burn out box.

Do you leave on the spray or hit it once your hooked and gone. I tried both actually hoping leaving on it would shock the tires to hook better, these cars are soo new to me.

Thanks again,

also what jetting do you use, i just used what I heard, i might be sprayin a lot more than I think LOL

I had 40 in the NOS and 28 in the fuel

N2O is so COOL! I think it's great!! A good shot of N2O on the starting line will make your face looke like this:eek:

ks:D

Bottlefed

Do you use the system like i have, a fogger nozzle in the up pipe,

If so, how do you tune, still with the o2 counts, or by the plugs?

TIA

Streetknight,

I can help you with the answer, since I am the one who burns the thumbwheel chip for BOTLFED. We use both, checking plugs and recording the runs with direct scan. Normally he runs 19-20 degrees on the timing, we mostly go with the 02's as long as the plugs are not out of color. Botlfed is a lot more wild on the bottle then most of us, he has the fogger in the uppipe with a stage 11 setup in reserve (6 more foggers in the doghouse). If you look back a couple of post on Nitrous there is several pics on his car and nitrous setups. The car just won't died. It has 130,000 miles on the stock long block and tranny. I sometimes wonder if he has a third bottle hidden in the car for personal use (if you know what I mean). Wild Ride

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I appreciate the Info.

I'm going back to the track Sunday for some more testing, probably shouldn't get the bottle filled before i go. Need to do more suspension tuning than anything right now.

PS- How fast has Botlfed's car been on the spray with the stock long block?

BOTLFED HERE1

Hey i am still alive!

The last time we took the car out we had a race track but now we are strippless:( but when we had here ou there the car was still loaded down with all the stock stuff but she ran with just the up pipe nozzle a 12.1 with a 2.40 60 foot time it sucks when you staring at the wall trying to keep the car straight.:eek: weel those were the nrmal day now a days the MUTANT (the nickname for the car) is close to about a thousand pounds lighter and has sprouted 6 more fogger nozzles on the dog house;) no more street tires for her like last time some big fat slicks on her now:p
but still the same old longblock stock turbo,tranny,intercooler, and crazy ass driver:cool: we were going to haul her up to vegas but had to work we will unleash this cork at the track one of these days and i will continue to drive it to the local wallgreens, sonic or to piss off the ford dealership around the corner.:mad: and i have to say thanks to the mad scientist behind her brain MR. WILKENSHC.... Take a bow:p ....well take care guys and remember don't just beat them SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE THERE GUTS OUT:D

Yep,

If you are ever in New Mexico you'll have to look us up. We'll go out and waste a bottle or two. :D :D :cool:

Chuck

NOS

:DYou look like this w/spray! A local fellow here had a 87 GN w/100 or 125 shot stk D5 conv,275-50-15 M&H Racemasters w/591 compound and he went 7.20 in 1/8 in '89 and 90. Saw a GN at Macon International Raceway go 8.30 on motor and 7.60 on 70hp shot spraying after 60ft(60fts were same). There was a guy named Barry from NC or SC who came to Renyolds,GA(Silver Dollar Raceway) to a Mustang shootout about 6 years ago w/NOS on his GN. W/60series turbo and 12" conv,11.0 motor,10.60 on gas,50 off the line,turned off by hobbs sw at 19psi boost! A guy I know from Tifton,GA bought his ported heads from him. I have a NOS system for my car even though it's removed-never got any times at track but it's a blast and really picks a turbo car up! :D
I've thought about using it again when I get my tranny fixed-at least till I can get a "big honkin' turbo" for it!!
"If you wanna play,ya gotta spray!":eek:

Hey Botlfed,
How about posting a pic of your rear window? (Your adiction!);)

NOS :cool: