First Smog Test Tomorrow.

Dan Roberts

After getting the 87 GN from Florida I am ready to try to get this thing passed through emissions in Colorado. I have installed a Cat, replaced PCV valve, installed a 190 degree thermostat, and replaced most vacuum lines. running great, anything else I am forgetting? I do have an emissions chip, but I might try running through without it, thoughts? I will make sure it is hot. Any suggestions would be great.

All I ever do is put the cat on and go. Everything else is left the same, even the lower thermostat. Make sure it's nice and warmed up and you'll be fine. Oh, and make sure you have fresh gas. I made that mistake a month ago after finally getting my car going again.

Fresh fuel, fresh oil & keep the cat-can hot.

That was all I needed to do.

You've got it. It will probably pass like a boss. Mine put out almost nothing, similar changes.

Emissions chip will activate EGR and delay turning fan on until 200-ish (I think it changes timing as well, Eric said no WOT blasts with emissions chip). These low compression motors hardly generate any NOx, so EGR probably not a problem.

Passed with flying colors. They went over it with a fine tooth comb, were crawling under it. inside the engine bay etc. It was sitting at about 200 degrees. They ran it on the dyno for about 10 minutes straight. Now time to save for the body work and paint and find someone who can tune these cars.

Attachments

• IMG_5478.JPG
    IMG_5478.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 151
My engine was built by Conley and I thought they increased the compression a bit. Take that with the fact that I run fan race mode as well. It's almost like I'm trying to fail or something. Lol! I still pass though so I'm sure Dan will pass with flying colors.

Passed with flying colors. They went over it with a fine tooth comb, were crawling under it. inside the engine bay etc. It was sitting at about 200 degrees. They ran it on the dyno for about 10 minutes straight. Now time to save for the body work and paint and find someone who can tune these cars.

Congrats Dan! They always do a visual check under the car and hood. When I was there a few weeks ago a couple of guys popped the hood after the test was done, just wanting to check it out I suppose. Lol!