First time at the track. Opinions and advice wanted.

psn

I've had the new combo up and running for some time now and finally had the chance to do some real testing at the track.

Combo:
Engine parts picked and supplied by Nick Micale
109 block .20 over, forged internals
214/210 cam
TA si alum. heads w/ 1.65 rockers
Turbonetics bb T66
Front mount ic
60lb. injectors, A1000 pump w/ -8 feed and return
TT 5.7 chip, Z06 maf+translator

CK perf. TH400 and 3200 nlu converter

Stock suspension, boxed rear control arms. 255/60/15 Kumho SUV street tires

No real tuning has been done yet. Just pulled two degrees of timing for added safety, since I have no speed signal for the ecu at the moment.

First pass was 12.8@112mph, 60ft 2.2s, no real launch, 2psi foot brake, 16psi boost.

Raised the boost to 18psi on the second pass, spun the tires trying to build more boost off the line and ran 13.something@114.

Raised the boost to 19-20psi, zero boost "launch", 60ft. 2.5s, 12.69@something. According to time slip, It was 124mph, but I don't believe it. Seemed to pick up speed nicely, so let's assume it was 116-117mph.

All the passes were made on pump gas only (Shell V-Power). No knock on the scanmaster, wb afr on third gear was 10.7 (third pass). No log, just a glance at the gauge near the finish line.

So obvious next step is some sort of sticky tire, but is it enough to be able to build some boost off the line for a decent launch? I know, there's at least half a second to improve on the 60ft alone. And with all the go fast parts I can go superfast in the future with E85 and bigger injectors.

Opinions? Advices? Are the (stock)rear brakes enough? I did not try it with e-brake.

I have almost the same build spec'd by Nick but with iron heads. Turbonetics billet 64/66 and Precision stock location intercooler. Ran 11.49 with a weak 60' @ 123 with 20psi boost. 124 is certainly possible. I do run alky. Your aluminum heads and front mount with reduced timing must be what's keeping you from getting knock. I can't get near that without alky. What octane is your pump gas?

Your attacking the track backwards..... I like to get a good 60ft first, then move to the 1/8th and lastley the 1/4. The reason is, you cant hook on the street like at the track with high boost launches. You want to get the 60ft down first because you are at the track! Then work on the 3rd gear tuning on the street. You'll have less ($25) track sessions and more 3rd gear tuning on the street, so you are ready for the whole 1/4 every track session.
Its not going to be about just sticky tires. You are gonna have to learn what the car wants in order to launch it properly. The converter,brakes,tune,suspension and tires will dictate your full potential 60ft. then you can go from there.
I would consider DR's and some brake mods to begin with. Log the runs and see what the car wants engine wise on the 60ft. I have no experience with the GN suspension, so I will leave that up to others to chime in.

I have almost the same build spec'd by Nick but with iron heads. Turbonetics billet 64/66 and Precision stock location intercooler. Ran 11.49 with a weak 60' @ 123 with 20psi boost. 124 is certainly possible. I do run alky. Your aluminum heads and front mount with reduced timing must be what's keeping you from getting knock. I can't get near that without alky. What octane is your pump gas?

They say it's min. 98 RON here in Europe, so I believe it's 93ish of your american octane. Oddly, I do sometimes get some knock on the street on the scanmaster, when I hit recall (0.1-2.0) and that can happen at 16psi with a short pull and at relatively low speeds. Could be a gear change or something else, don't know. But I'm not concerned (yet) since all the runs at the track were knock free and I really am not abusing the car on the streets and am still using max 16psi, with the pulled timing.

Your attacking the track backwards..... I like to get a good 60ft first, then move to the 1/8th and lastley the 1/4. The reason is, you cant hook on the street like at the track with high boost launches. You want to get the 60ft down first because you are at the track! Then work on the 3rd gear tuning on the street. You'll have less ($25) track sessions and more 3rd gear tuning on the street, so you are ready for the whole 1/4 every track session.
Its not going to be about just sticky tires. You are gonna have to learn what the car wants in order to launch it properly. The converter,brakes,tune,suspension and tires will dictate your full potential 60ft. then you can go from there.
I would consider DR's and some brake mods to begin with. Log the runs and see what the car wants engine wise on the 60ft. I have no experience with the GN suspension, so I will leave that up to others to chime in.

I agree. But since this was the very first time at the track with this setup, I wanted to see how much boost the pump gas can handle and get a feel of the car at high speed. And I'd rather do it at the track if possible. I'm aware that from here on there's not a whole lot to be learned or gained by going to the track to make some more high 12s passes.

So what are you guys doing to the brakes? Bigger cylinders and harder braking enough?

With the larger S10 rear wheel cylinders and dual primary pads you can hold a lot of boost on the line.