Forged Crank and H-Beam Rods ---

alwayscode390

I dont hear much about Forged Cranks or H-Beam Rods with the TTA's.

I saw that many people have ran 10's on the stock stuff ... but a solid tune is a MUST. I figure it couldnt hurt to upgrade just for the added strength right?

Since the GN and TTA's share the same crank cast numbers ... does that mean we can swap cranks and rods with no problems?

I just want to go forged crank like this (3.400 stock stroke right?):

BUICK GRAND NATIONAL GN TTA 4340 STEEL CRANK CRANKSHAFT - eBay (item 200512824317 end time Jan-23-11 14:48:41 PST)

Forged H-Beam Scats like this:

TTA GRAND NATIONAL GNX SCAT STEEL 900HP CONNECTING RODS - eBay (item 200326368756 end time Jan-19-11 17:18:57 PST)

Are those the right specs?:

5.970" Rod Length Apprx. Gram Weight N/A
2.249" Crank Pin .940" Piston pin
B.E Width .850" Bushed Fit Pins - Floating

I was going to buy a crank and rods ... then send them to be nitrided, but chances are that will get pricey too.

Thats just what I found on Ebay real quick ... if you have other brands to recommend let me know. THANKS ---

OK, well I found out that I want the stock rods with the 5.97 length , and stock stroke 3.4" crank.

Forged Eagle Crank for $650 + shipping

Scat and Eagle H-Beams for around $500 + shipping.

Does anyone have advice on vendors with cheaper prices or opinions on brands? I dont want to go k1 on the rods, so thats out.

As far as the crank, it says it can be internally or externally balanced ... but internal requires less work. I am guessing crank prep could be costly ( $500 + ?).

OK, well I found out that I want the stock rods with the 5.97 length , and stock stroke 3.4" crank.

Forged Eagle Crank for $650 + shipping

Scat and Eagle H-Beams for around $500 + shipping.

Does anyone have advice on vendors with cheaper prices or opinions on brands? I dont want to go k1 on the rods, so thats out.

As far as the crank, it says it can be internally or externally balanced ... but internal requires less work. I am guessing crank prep could be costly ( $500 + ?).

Hi,

I'm not giving advice, just sayin. You should call Dan Streso at 219-956-3653, he will have what you need and will give you good advice on what your trying to accomplish.
Don't get me wrong, I have an Eagle crank myself, it's a fine piece of work but, it was my understanding that Eagle stopped production on the Buick crank at least 2 years ago. I also think you may have been misinformed about balancing. The Eagle is an internally balanced crank which means you have to buy a neutral harmonic balencer.
As far as rods go, they are basiclly 350 rods. You can probably still by GM hp forged steel 350 rods cheaper than the name brands but again, call Streso, hey, it's just a phone call.

I got the Eagle H-beam rods in mine (with stock crank and Ross pistons) however looking at their website they dont seem to make them anymore ...

To use the forged cranks ... I need to buy the $460 balancer that Cotton sells right? All in all a forged swap is $1100+ ---

To use the forged cranks ... I need to buy the $460 balancer that Cotton sells right? All in all a forged swap is $1100+ ---

To the best of my knowledge, yes. There are other places that probably sell them but Jack is as good as any. You will have to pay for balancing the crank. All and all, to do what it sounds like your doing, it will set you back around $3500 to $4k, maybe more. The cost really depends on the area of the country your in, the west cost is usually much higher.

How fast are you trying to go? How many times are you trying to make that number?

Example.. I want car to run 9.90 ET. And do it once.. because my track will kick me out.. then that means you want an 11 sec car. Stock crank/rods would be fine. You'll find most failures on these motors are head gasket related vs crank/rod/piston related.

Or.. I put in a 10 point.. want to run 9's all the time.. and will punish the motor.. then you need good crank, rods, pistons, main caps/girdle, etc.

Its only money.. I can tell you I have gone 132 with stock OEM stuff.. and aftermarket parts. I broke a stock rod once at the wrist pin area. Playing with nitrous and hitting the rev limiter.. I have customers that have run 10.0's on stock pistons.. many many passes.. Eventually they will let go.

BHJ use to make a balancer, dont know if they still do for the internal balance cranks.

Been there done it.. its Pandora's box and a snow ball effect on finances.

Jack also has another sfi balancer on his site that's sfi approved for $290. It can be adjusted for internal or external balance. Looks slick.

Thanks guys.

I have rounded up these parts so far:

*CAT forged stock replacement crank
*SCAT forged h-beam stock replacement rods
*neutral balance stock balancer
*SFI rated JW neutral balance flexplate

I will top off the bottom end with JE pistons ... GN replacements if I cant find the specs on the TTA stock pistons soon!!! ---

V8Killer might still have the box from his TTA JE pistons he got several years ago. It might have the part # on it if that would help. I can ask him.