Fuel pressure & Powerlogger?

some versions of windows don't always pop up the wizard.

make sure you are directing the driver installation to the drivers folder, not one of the folders inside it.

Bob

I had the same issue with mine not reading data. I bought a different computer. lol can anyone advise me on how to save a powerlogger run/file and email it to someone?

I had the same issue with mine not reading data. I bought a different computer. lol can anyone advise me on how to save a powerlogger run/file and email it to someone?

When you save the file it's saved as a dat file. Just attach it to an email. But the person you send it too has to have PL on their computer, and make sure you advise them of what kind of wideband you're using so they can properly set theirs.

I don't have that one, but you can either get power and ground from the TPS wiring, or from the PowerLogger connection block. Run the sensor signal to the PL connection block I4 or I5.

Bob
thanks for the reply
i got this from their site

Input: 0-100 psi.
Output: 0.5V – 4.5V linear voltage output.
Works for oil, fuel or air pressure. Can be used in oil tank, gas tank, etc.
Accuracy: within 2% of reading (full scale).
Thread: 1/8” NPT.
Wiring connector: water sealed quick disconnect. Mating connector is included.
Wiring: Red: +5V. Black (yellow): ground. Blue (green): signal output.

i guess i need to configure the PL??

yeah, look in the PLC.ini file and you will find the scaling settings for input 4 and 5. this is an example of setting input 4.

[CustomAnalog4]
CustomAnalog4Name=Fuel Pressure
CustomAnalog4LongName=Fuel Pressure Sensor
CustomAnalog4Tag=FP
CustomAnalog4GaugeMin=0
CustomAnalog4GaugeMax=100
CustomAnalog4GraphMin=0
CustomAnalog4GraphMax=100
CustomAnalog4MinValue=0.0
CustomAnalog4MaxValue=100.0
CustomAnalog4MinVolt=0.500
CustomAnalog4MaxVolt=4.500

Edit the PLC.ini file in notepad or something, make sure the PLC program is not running at the time.

Bob

thanks for the reply
i made the changes and it looks like i did them in the right place.
in the "Analog Input Settings" Box
do i have to make any changes to "smoothing" and "Volts" ?
yeah, look in the PLC.ini file and you will find the scaling settings for input 4 and 5. this is an example of setting input 4.

[CustomAnalog4]
CustomAnalog4Tag=FP
CustomAnalog4GaugeMin=0
CustomAnalog4GraphMin=0
CustomAnalog4MinValue=0.0
CustomAnalog4MaxValue=100.0

Edit the PLC.ini file in notepad or something, make sure the PLC program is not running at the time.

Bob

you should leave the smoothing at 'none' unless the data appears to be really "jittery". The volts box is not settable, that is there so you can see the voltage of the raw signal coming in.

Bob

you should leave the smoothing at 'none' unless the data appears to be really "jittery". The volts box is not settable, that is there so you can see the voltage of the raw signal coming in.

Bob
OK i left that other stuff alone
this a PL file with that cheap Ebay sensor on.
the Fuel pressure gauge was showing 44Psi at idle this thing is showing 42.something
is there a way to make an adjustment on the PL to match the sensor with the gauge?

Attachments

• 3-7-2012.dat
    509 KB · Views: 132
yes.

Assuming that you trust the gauge more than the sensor.. get 2 points with gauge pressure and sensor pressure and we can fit it.

Or, if you just want to make the PL read a little higher, make a change in the PLC.ini file. If you want PL to read 1.5 psi higher do this

[CustomAnalog4]
CustomAnalog4Tag=FP
CustomAnalog4GaugeMin=0
CustomAnalog4GraphMin=0
CustomAnalog4MinValue=1.5
CustomAnalog4MaxValue=101.5

Bob

yes.

Assuming that you trust the gauge more than the sensor.. get 2 points with gauge pressure and sensor pressure and we can fit it.

Or, if you just want to make the PL read a little higher, make a change in the PLC.ini file. If you want PL to read 1.5 psi higher do this

[CustomAnalog4]
CustomAnalog4Tag=FP
CustomAnalog4GaugeMin=0
CustomAnalog4GraphMin=0
CustomAnalog4MinValue=1.5
CustomAnalog4MaxValue=101.5

Bob
thanks
before i change anything i am going to have a friend of mines check the fuel pressure with his mechanics fuel pressure tester.
i was thinking (first mistake) that IF the sensor is off that i should try and get it as close as possible on a high reading VS a low reading.
for example gauge reading 70PSi sensor/PL reading 70PSI even if at idle its off by little bit.
What do you think about that??

if you get both a high set of readings and a low set of readings, we can make it right everywhere.

B

if you get both a high set of readings and a low set of readings, we can make it right everywhere.

B
thats great news
what would be the best way to go about this??
take a few readings
1-idle
2-idle line off
3-10 Psi boost
4-20 Psi boost
5-30 Psi boost
thanks for your help

just need 2 points, say idle and 20 psi. take the readings a few times and get a good average. Then we can tweak the settings in the pl.

B

just need 2 points, say idle and 20 psi. take the readings a few times and get a good average. Then we can tweak the settings in the pl.

B

So the PL can't really accommodate a nonlinear sensor? Just curious.

sure it could, I could program it to use any sensor.

But its *already* set up for linear sensors.

Bob

Great info in this thread. My PL always shows the fuel pressure reading as really "jittery" and almost unusable. I will try out the "smoothing" option that I read about in this thread. Thanks again to TurboBob for the information and TURBOPOWERED68 for asking the relevant questions.