Garrett GT42RS 4202 Dual Ball Bearing Turbo?

81 Regal Man

I was just wondering if the Garrett GT42RS 4202 size dual ball bearing turbocharger would be a wise choice for a force inducted Carb setup. I figure that a 4202 will be capable of giving me the boost I want with fairly little - no lag. These turbos are known for a quick spool and being very efficient at peak spool. A friend of mine has one on his Subaru STI WRX and he loves it. I just would like to know if you guys think it would be a good choice or if I should go smaller. HP goals are 450-475RWHP, which this turbo is rated to hold up to 600CHP applications.

This won't be any cheap little non-built boost setup. I am going to upgrade the internals to handle FI that way the chances of engine damage are less likely. Also, I am upgrading the gearing to a 3.73 MCSS differential, lightweight HD axle upgrade kit, and a 400R4 transmission. Sound good?

Another question I have. Can a Air/Fuel controller be ran succesfully on a carbed engine that is this old and outdated? I don't believe this engine utilizes alot of electronic sensory, if any, nor does it use an ECU as it is a 30 year old carbureted engine, though it does utilize an electronic choke instead of a manual choke. My biggest concern is being able to make sure I am not running too lean or too rich, but in order to do so, I would either need a setup tweak and/or a full engine management system, but I am in the dark as to whether this can be done on a non-ECU engine since most A/F Meters and FEM systems work by tapping into an ECU unless it is a sealed computer, and utilizing existing sensors to adjust combustion, etc.

Thanks for any help in advance.