Gas Filler Neck

iwantatta

Just tried to get my car smogged and was told that it failed the Evap test because of a bad filler neck. Anyone now if this is a one piece or 2 piece fix? They told me they would use a universal filler neck. But i'm wondering if it is welded to the tank. Would it be better to find a replacement tank with filler neck? Or is that even possible? Bummed it failed the test. It hadn't failed a test yet since i got the car over 10yrs ago. More bummed because it seems like its a pain to fix or expensive to have someone fix it.

Just tried to get my car smogged and was told that it failed the Evap test because of a bad filler neck. Anyone now if this is a one piece or 2 piece fix? They told me they would use a universal filler neck. But i'm wondering if it is welded to the tank. Would it be better to find a replacement tank with filler neck? Or is that even possible? Bummed it failed the test. It hadn't failed a test yet since i got the car over 10yrs ago. More bummed because it seems like its a pain to fix or expensive to have someone fix it.
What is bad on it?

That is what i was worried about. They sad that when they run the evap test they hook up something to it to check how well it seals. He was saying that it can be a problem with older cars that run metal fillers because they expand overtime and no longer seal properly.

That is what i was worried about. They sad that when they run the evap test they hook up something to it to check how well it seals. He was saying that it can be a problem with older cars that run metal fillers because they expand overtime and no longer seal properly.
On a tta the fuel tank is a massive pain in the ass to get out. The neck is soldered to the tank, or lightly welded. Not sure. But long story short the joint flexes quite a bit during this battle. Causes seepage at that seam
And an evap system leak.

On a tta the fuel tank is a massive pain in the ass to get out. The neck is soldered to the tank, or lightly welded. Not sure. But long story short the joint flexes quite a bit during this battle. Causes seepage at that seam
And an evap system leak.

So would it be safe to say just have someone do it? I'm not sure how the retest of the smog works if i try to repair it. Just gathering some knowledge on what needs replacing. I see that they are sold as full unit and separate 2 pieces. And of course different gallon sizes o_O. Believe that its a 15 gallon tank but i see it as being sold as a 2piece. The 14 gallon is a single piece.

If you're patient, and the tank is empty it's not that hard to get out. I've done it numerous times on my garage floor with a Jack, and Jack stands.

My car was seeping fuel somewhere at at the base of the neck. Couldn't find it with the tank in the car. Took it to my mechanic, got the car up on the rack, still no joy. Dropped the tank and under close inspection found a tiny crack right at the base. Couldn't see it until the neck was flexed ever so slightly. So,after we wire brushed the area and got it nice and clean , we decided to try some JB weld ( 2 part epoxy). Fixed it. Prob free since. Seems like fllling the tank with the nozzle stresses / flexes neck and over time it developed a crack. Hope this helps.
Johnnie

As stated above I would check that area of the tank where the fill neck is joined To it. I have pulled my tank on jack stands and it wasn't that bad. It comes out easy if you get it at the right angle so the fill neck doesn't catch. I took the gas cap off so it wouldn't catch on anything and emptied the tank completely. I had no help and managed to drop the tank and reinstall it. We don't have those inspections here I was just replacing the pump. If you're dropping the tank I would replace your fuel pump if it hasn't been done already. I would look where Johnnie stated above and spend $5 on JB weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rear end will hang down being on jack stands. It's been a while but I think I just disconnected the support that goes from side to side. I have ATR exhaust that actually came apart much easier than I thought it would. If you have the stock exhaust it might have to be cut to get the tank out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, i guess i will find out more when i drop the tank. Wouldn't be surprised if something may have happened when the tank was dropped to replace the fuel pump a few years ago. Doesn't sound like many people replace the fuel tank assembly though. Hopefully JB weld is the solution.

How about utilizing a three part filler neck system and adding some new flex bushings to the gas tank mounts?

Get or take it to someone with a smoke machine
First
Why take it out when it could be a very easy fix