Gaskets for steel stamped valve covers

b4black

I needed to order some valve covers gaskets and came across these. It's a new style that looks to be better than rubber or cork. They are listed for 2bbl motors in addition to the carb/turbo, so I believe they are intended for our steel stamped covers. (I don't think they will work with the SFI aluminum valve covers. At least they aren't listed for the 86/87 Turbo V6)

They are more vertical than horizontal (like gaskets on newer engines). Inside the blue rubber is a steel frame and there are plastic spacers at the bolt holes to prevent over tightening. I think these are worth a shot over traditional gaskets. I know on my cars, I can't get the valve covers seal well at all.

$9 a pair on Rock Auto.

FEL-PRO VS50156T PermaDryPlus®
FELPF_VS50156T_P04_TOP.jpg

That's what I use and they work very well. I've got a set on my aluminum covers now without any issues. I don't have hardly any miles on them so I don't know what the event from the dp will be but time will tell.

They list them for '84-'85 Hot Air SFI, which has aluminum covers. For some mysterious reason, Fel-Pro lists them as VIN A only for '86-'87, despite the fact that the same cork gaskets apply to all. Typical screwed up applications for older cars.

I'd be wary of wholesaler closeout, which is what the $9 quote is for. Regular inventory is $19. I've gotten other kinds of products from RockAuto on wholesaler closeout, and all of them had some kind of issue that helped explain why the wholesaler closed them out.

Last edited:
I have them already. They look OK. (I know what you mean. Often the closeouts are old, weathered stock.)

I tried them on the aluminum covers. There is a small spot where they might interfere with the inside rail. After reading old posts, some people trim them, others don't. Seems to be OK either way.