Got strange results on compression test, need help!

Steve

I did a compression test on my T-type tonight and I got some pretty strange results. I did one about 2 months ago and all cylinders were between 150-160 psi. Tonight I had one as high as 160 and one as low 90 and a couple that ranged in between. This is a new comp tester, I borrowed a freinds last time, but this one I just bought and this is the first time it has been used. I blew a headgasket on the first GN I had and it read 0 on the compression test, but is is possible to be "somewhat" blown or leaking? Or is the new comp tester the problem, I plan to borrow my freinds and test them back to back. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Steve

Originally posted by Steve
but is is possible to be "somewhat" blown or leaking? Or is the new comp tester the problem, I plan to borrow my freinds and test them back to back. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Steve

Yes I guess you could call it that. Gaskets will start to what I have heard call track, where they are starting to go, or like you said leaking.

I would do another test. This time try a leak down test. A leak down will help tell for sure if you got a valve leaking or a head gasket leaking. If the valve is leaking you will hear the air leaking by into the intake or exhaust (most of the time). That would give you a better idea of what is going on IMOP

Good luck