Grades of race gas -- what is really needed?

F

Fred 86 GN

Trying to see if I can have success with using something other than VP C-16 at $8 a gallon.

From what I have read, the motor octane rating is what our turbo cars need the most of to prevent detonation. A couple types of race gas I have used or can get around here:

Turbo Blue -- 105 motor octane, 110 (r+m)/2 --- $3.60/gal
Cam 2 standard -- 105 motor, 110 (r+m)/2 --- $4.60/gal
Cam 2 supreme -- 110 motor, 112 (r+m)/2 --- $5.60/gal
Turbo Blue Extreme -- 114 motor --- $6?
VP C-16 -- 117 motor, 116 (r+m)/2 --- $8+/gal

I suppose since the car is just driven to the drag strip and local cars shows a couple times a month (~200 miles/mth) I could afford to put C-16 in it all the time...probably 15 gallons per month...that adds up to $120/month in C-16. Plus a couple dead O2 sensors per month at $25 each. Probably only need to run the number a couple times, then detune and drive the car...if I have that much self-control!

Guess it costs $$$ to go fast.

Any experience with the "lesser" race gas grades in that can they prevent detonation when being added to something like 22psi of boost with 26° -- about 450hp in my GN?

Thanks,

fuel

I buy Sunoco 116 for $4.50 per gallon. Mix it with 93 octane 50-50. Run 24 psi boost with Armstrong 24 degree chip.

where in the world do you get Sunoco 116 for 4.50? It's like $8.00 here (you are talking about Maximal?....the Red stuff)

22 psi and 12's you should be able to get by with 110 easy...

Very good question, I am looking into this right now also. I have only added a few gallons of 110 Turbo blue the first time out in the cars, probably not knowing the best of tune last year. I have had good luck second time out this year using a 100 xlyene mix (5 gal in full tank), no knock, see sig. I know you said race fuel, but the xylene is the main ingredient and it alone won't kill the O2 sensor. Only problem is not being able to mix over 100 octane due to it being hard on the fuel system parts in its pure form.

Race fuel is one of those items that drives me crazy trying to figure out ways around not killing the O2 sensor, yet having such huge performance benefits for these cars. I did read something tonight that using the Thrasher chip does not kill the O2 as quick since it does not use the sensor being in open loop most of the time. But it seems the lead in the exhaust gases would have the same negative effect on it. And you can only get the chips for stock, blue top, and I think 009 injectors.

I even have a used heated O2 sensor to try out, but am reading that it will not help. Also the extender chip I have can be set to full time open loop, and was going to try that next with a used O2 sensor. Maybe higher octane unleaded race fuels will become available at a better price. I am envious of those people able to buy the unleaded 100 octane at the pump also! :p

your car runs in open loop at WOT regardless of what chip you are running....you can do the 02 shuffle when you have race gas and it won't affect performance at the track (see Bruce's posts).....a matter of learning in non WOT and changing 02's...or you could get a MaxEffort and eliminate the 02

if you want to go as fast as you can, you need race gas...otherwise, get an alky system

Thrasher 108 chip.

I plan to let the Thrasher 108 chip "learn" for a few drives with a relatively fresh oxygen sensor, then pull out the O2 sensor and put in my EGT probe in its place. The chip won't care. It will run off its learned values. Then I can tune with the EGT. I will problably swap the EGT probe and the O2 sensor a couple times to correlate the two, but after that, I am hoping to run without the O2.:cool:

that's the ticket! the egt will work a lot better than 02's once you get the hang of it.....just remember you must be "in range", not real rich or lean or the egt will lead you down the wrong path....