GTP transmission issues

mikes86ttop

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
So I've had an on\off hard shifting problem, very intermittent the past couple months. This past Sunday I warm her up for a coffee run, get in put in drive and nothing. No gears at all included reverse. So I call a few boneyards to see what's out there, and lkq has one in Canada (none local) they also offer a remanufactured unit with a 3yr\30k warranty. Both said and done with freight and everything would be about $1k...it's an 04 gtp with 177k on it in a1 condition that I have $700 into...what do I do...Thanks Mike

I have a transmission guy that's looking into cost on rebuild kits, any suggestions on what and where to buy? Ill be doing all labor except the rebuild any suggestions are greatly appreciated before I drop a G on anything...thanks again Mike

I checked out their site, good info and what not, but I guess I've gotta give them a call on some real world questions...Mike

I second the motion on triple edge perf. if your going to rebuild it , Dave is very active in the 3800 community and never seen a bad post about him. He is on here on occasion also and was involved in the build series 2 grand national...

Where are you located ? since it sounds like you have short money in the car and would like a short money fix maybe someone on here has a good used unit near you ?

I'm in north west RI, I don't even mind traveling within reason for one. I also called a couple other local yards but all they had were a few 4t65e units, and one HD unit with 150k on it. I just can't see how there aren't more of these around in the bone yards...Mike

How much would the average rebuild cost for one of these???

Cost? Depends on what you are gonna put it through... Dave's trans start at like ~$1400 or so for basic trans... (upgraded sonnax parts and all that) for say a stock or pretty stockish car.
And the price goes up from there... He is only one of maybe three people I trust in the world with the 4T65E..... Yocal shop will just toss in crap, but won't tackle the valve body short comings and so on that
Dave has perfected over the years.

Give him a call. He has my drag car doing my Full Retard Extreme Trans Build for quite some time now (among a slew of other things I piled onto him not trans related....) .. i recommend him highly :)

rebuild is usually 1000-1500 with in & out around here. There is a guy several people on new England Pontiac forum have used in mass his name is Grant , that forum is pretty dead but I am sure a search there could scare up his info , If not let me know and I will make some calls for you.

the 4t65e-hd is the same trans essentially as the 4t65e the differences are the hd diff which also takes the diff cover from an hd trans to fit the diff and the shaft from the hd trans - you can swap all of these from your bad hd trans since you didn't blow the diff -easy to access with it apart.

you are an 04 so you cant go with an older version. and you didn't mention mods so assuming stock rebuild ? if modded see jdredds post above about trusting dave lol

There's a 99 gtp in Pawtucket for 1200 on Craigslist. You could take the trans if it's good and part out the rest.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll do some searching. Its my daily driver no mods , just looking for a basic rebuild, or a unit I can throw in and be done