Had me a track night

mblum

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I told myself when I got this car it was going to be a cruiser and didn't plan to race it, well so much for that, I went to the track a few weeks ago on a whim and had a great time. I wasn't satisified so I went again this past Friday and had a great time again so I thought I'd share.

I drove to and from the track not busted so thats a win right there for me. I know I'm not breaking any records but I definetly have the itch to go faster, improving my 60' should help a bunch as they sucked.

Running a nearly bald set of 275/60/15 Nitto NT555RII set to 17psi and I don't think they are known for killer traction, but wear pretty good for street driving which is why I used them.

Air was pretty good for this time of the year around here, about a 2550 DA. Made about 6 passes with 2 of them being spin city and I threw those out. 4 of them were decent and was able to get some good data.

Launched at 2-2.5psi on my 7.50 passes, any more boost and I would blow the tires off as the turbo spooled.

All passes in the slips below were around 27-29 psi of boost, pump E85, TT E85 chip timing settings at default 18/19 degrees, tarteting 10.8 AFR on the gas scale.

Mods in sig.
thumbnail.jpg

Pretty solid runs. anything under 2.0 60ft on a street tire on a track where everyone has street tires is a win to me. 95 is nice mph

Thanks! I was happy with the MPH.

I think the Nittos are considered a drag radial, just not as good as the Mickeys, which im going to switch to once these are shot.

might be a decent hooking street tire but I would think it a stretch to call them a drag radial. m&h, m/t, Hoosier bfg and maybe others are makers of drag radials. nitto is a good tire but I could get into the high 1.70s on a good night on my street tires . get some good tires maybe even a slick and get you some 1.50s so you can shoot at the 6s

Wow, very consistent times. You had fun and that's what it's all about. The Wallace Racing calculator shows a 1/4 mile time around 11.9@118

Thanks!

I'm curious what it will run with real tires and 1.6 60ft. This track usually stays open until late October and the car feels so much stronger in 50 degree air. I think in good air it may pick up a few more MPH.

I'd ove to see some low 7s.

Nice runs Matt ! Looks like everything is working good !
The temptation to go faster is tough to resist ...............

Thanks Sam, the car seems to be running well, doesn't even act like I'm pushing it, pulls nice.

The temptation is there for sure LOL. It's been a while since I've been at the drag strip.

Update!
time slips 2.jpg

Went back to the track with a set of real tires - ET Street R's 275/60/15 - and what differnece that makes! I only got 4 runs in last night and the first one I had too much tire pressure and blew the tires off. Dropped the tire pressure to 17 psi and that seemed to do the trick, dead hook from that point forward brake boosing to about 10psi with mid to high 1.5 60'.

DA was about 2150 and my last three runs were 7.1's and the launch felt great, shock settings seem to close. Engine tune is was unchanged from the orignal post.

I'm hoping to hit the track one more time and maybe push the boost up to 31-31 psi and maybe get that 7.0 or 6.99 if my 60' holds. I'm very impressed what this car can do with a stock internal un opened 96k mile engine, hope she holds together!