Hard start and what is the best timing for E85

USMC_Turbo6

When I go to start my car it takes several times for it to come alive. Is that normal or do n i need to change something.

Took the car out today for some tuning on E85, thanks to Reggie West. We have the car dialed in real well at #21 pounds. More to come. She is begging for more!!!!!!!! What should the timing be as i turn up the boost on the car. Looking to stop at about 26#.

Last edited:
assuming your fuel pressure is staying up from the fuel pump prime cycle, try slightly pressing the gas while starting.

if this helps, then you can open the throttle blade with the stop screw, and reset your TPS.

do you have a stock IAC setup, or an angle adapter?

Bob

Angle adapter and it is idling high once its warm.

Dee had a lot of fun handing a WRX his lunch off of a light yesterday.

is the IAC at 0 once warm? If so, that angle adapter may not be letting as much air in as programmed. The chip can be updated to open the IAC further during starting.

Bob, how can I update the chip for that.

Reggie, he started it so I had to finish it. Thanks for all the help!!!!!

lets finish with the tuning and see if it still needs it. then Eric or I can send you an update.

Bob

to clarify, is it a long crank issue, or a start-then-stall issue?

E85 is pretty finicky in cold weather also.

Also consider experimenting with cranking fuel. There is parameter on the tune page called "cranking fuel trim" that allows you to add or subtract cranking fuel. You might try adding, say, 10% and see if that works better (or worse). You would just put "10" in the box.

Please explain the angled IAC adapter a bit. I have the same issue with mine weather it's gas or E85 it doesn't matter.

Ok Eric, I will try that. I think that i may have lowered the cranking fuel on the car when i got it back together

Its a long crank issue, you have to turn it over several times before it will start.

That is typical for e-85 since it is not a volatile as gasoline.

Our e-85 cars with take as many as 8-10 revolutions to start first thing in the AM, but is normal the rest of the day.

I've noticed that my F150 cranks longer then normal when I fill with corn. That was when it was warm too. From my readings it's due to the E85 having difficulty atomizing when cold. It likes to pool more than gas.