Harness bar is in.

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
Not sure I like the setup. I tucked it in there. What should I do? Throw in some plates on the b pillars to lower the bars down to mount them? I'm going to put in some higher seats (corbeau cr1) eventually. This is just a weekend cruiser car, I haven't made a pass in it since Feb 2006. Thoughts?

75.JPG

74.JPG

Not sure I'm diggin it. I think having it dropped down about 4inches may help but thats yur call, your car. Do what makes you feel safe, I think at the this point I would really look at a 6pnt. Good Luck with whatever you choose. jon

So I've read up various safety sites and they say either level with the shoulders and no more than 10* higher is where the belt should be. If its lower than it could compress the spine in a crash. I think with the new seats it will be perfect. I will throw on some large plates behind the sheet metal and leave the locations where they are.

Doesn't look too bad, but from a purely safety standpoint it WRONG!!! :eek:

WAY too high.

The part of the belt that runs from your shoulders back to the bar should be 90 degrees to your spine. That means if the seat back has a little back tilt to it, the mount points will be a little below the shoulder level, usually just a few inches will do.

Mounted too high like that and they can't hold you down into the see well at all in the event of a roll over.

Mounted too low and they will compress your spine in the event of a "sudden" stop.

I don't think that even with new seats that they're going to raise your shoulders to a level near the top of non extended stock headrests. Your head would be jambed into the ceiling.

I guess it doesn't matter though since a sanctioned track would dis-allow a totally illegal rig like that anyway.

Good for looks though.

I can't see how it is less safe than a factory 3 point seat belt? That mofo's base was held in with a nut on the backside of a sheet metal insert box by a few tiny screws:eek: Not to mention it is one giant belt that is one part breaks it's over.

Shouldn't the lap belt be holding me to the seat in a roll over? All the shoulder harness is there for is to keep me from going forward.

I guess if I actually sat in the seat I'd have realized my shoulders are higher than the back of the seat by a couple inches. The straps are nearly straight back to the bar when I'm strapped in.

I don't get it?

If you're going to all that trouble why don't you put in a 5 point roll bar with a removable swingout on the driver side?

1. NHRA and IHRA legal
2. Proven Safety when done correctly
3. Doesn't rely on body structure to save your backside

Dave

I don't get it?

If you're going to all that trouble why don't you put in a 5 point roll bar with a removable swingout on the driver side?

1. NHRA and IHRA legal
2. Proven Safety when done correctly
3. Doesn't rely on body structure to save your backside

Dave

It's just a grocery getter and I wanted better seat belts. I never get to the track to race anyways, and I rarely get over 45mph where I live, the avg age is 70+. If I want to go fast, I usually hop in the Zo6 which has massive brakes and handles well. Last time I have been over 100mph was 2 years ago at the dragstrip in the Zo6.:rolleyes: