head gasket for GN1's

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
A friend has the aluminum GN-1's. He is looking for a recommendation for the head gasket..... no orings or loc-wires..... just slick heads and block....

Combo is capable of low 11's.... maybe high 10's.

He doesn't want cometics/rjc/sce's .... he wants something more reasonably priced...that won't indent the aluminum heads.... and are known to be "good".

Stock head gasket is no problem if there is not detonation in that application. He should only need 22 psi to run 10's. Fwiw copper gaskets wont leave markings in the heads.

Stock head gasket is no problem if there is not detonation in that application. He should only need 22 psi to run 10's. Fwiw copper gaskets wont leave markings in the heads.

Not my combo... but similar. It is a friend. He is running the GN1's... Champion ported intake....72's (or 50's...he hasn't made up his mind).... PT54... with pump gas and alky. Bottom end is pretty much stock. The 54 should be capable of 10's.... but at alot more boost than 22psi IMHO.... not real sure how hard he is going to push his combo.... low 11's for sure... after that.... who knows?

Same car went 10.60's @ 128 or so...a couple years ago with a 45A (now in my possession) at 23 psi boost or so... on pump gas and tolulene...with home ported 8445's.... he went through some head gaskets getting the tolulene worked out.....Motor ended up out with a few issues... now getting it back on the road with a freshened stock bottom end... and a smaller turbo.... just wants to ride at this point....

Not my combo... but similar. It is a friend. He is running the GN1's... Champion ported intake....72's (or 50's...he hasn't made up his mind).... PT54... with pump gas and alky. Bottom end is pretty much stock. The 54 should be capable of 10's.... but at alot more boost than 22psi IMHO.... not real sure how hard he is going to push his combo.... low 11's for sure... after that.... who knows?

Same car went 10.60's @ 128 or so...a couple years ago with a 45A (now in my possession) at 23 psi boost or so... on pump gas and tolulene...with home ported 8445's.... he went through some head gaskets getting the tolulene worked out.....Motor ended up out with a few issues... now getting it back on the road with a freshened stock bottom end... and a smaller turbo.... just wants to ride at this point....
I went 124+mph with the 54 back in 99 with an ok set of ported irons and a 212-212 cam. Engine had 100k+ on shortblock 7.8:1 compression with double steel shims . It had enough power at 22 psi to run 10's if it 60' 1.52.

He has better heads that way 40 lbs less and a chance to run a thinner head gasket for more compression than i had. It could see 10's at 21 psi if the tune was there and it left hard off a t-brake.

I went 124+mph with the 54 back in 99 with an ok set of ported irons and a 212-212 cam. Engine had 100k+ on shortblock 7.8:1 compression with double steel shims . It had enough power at 22 psi to run 10's if it 60' 1.52.

He has better heads that way 40 lbs less and a chance to run a thinner head gasket for more compression than i had. It could see 10's at 21 psi if the tune was there and it left hard off a t-brake.

That's encouraging.... don't think he has a t-brake... but used to cut 60's in the 1.5's regularly.