headgaskets for M@A heads?

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
Can i use the stock GM shim gaskets and ge 1200 on aluminium heads? on a stock block? Or will they put indents in the alum surface ?

damn...thats a question i'd also like to know the answer to...i've got a set of m&a heads that are going on my engine as well and didn't even think of that being an issue...i would think you can..but, i don't know for sure......... anyone out there now for a fact?............joel

i have seen a set of M/A heads come off and engine that had those types of gaskets and the answer to your question is YES they will indent the heads..

How about gn-1 heads, i see Jason Cramer using stacked shims, wouldn 't this also destroy the head surface?

no one with any more suggestions on which hg to use????????

yes they do live a very slight inpression. This is not a bad thing though. this actually helps to keep the gaskets from blowing. We do NOT use GE1200 in our kits. (we used that silicon for the pictures only)

http://rjcracing.com/RJC_Buick_Products/RJC_Head_Gasket_Kit/rjc_head_gasket_kit.html

Cometics are steel shims. they do the same thing as the stock steel shim head gaskets.

For the stock block with 8 head bolts the GM stacked Steel shim head gaskets work the best reguardless of weither or not you are using aluminum heads or not.

for 14 bolt 3.8s we use the Cometics For the 4" bore blocks we like the felpro wirelocks.

hope this helps

Thanks, so i should use steel shims with no silicon at all?:confused:

MA Head Gask.

My local parts guy is stumped on this one (so am I). The S1 41 block is drilled/taped with the 14 bolt S2 pattern ... the block deck is fitted with a steel wire insert around each bore. The old gaskets are a FelPro #1026, and they worked fine (held 30 lbs boost a few times)

Problem is, FelPro doesn't have that 1997 vintage numbering system anymore. ANY BODY know what Fel Pro part replaces #1026.

Are the Cometics compatible with the wire in the deck ??

Cometics do not require any silocone as they are coated with a sealer. This is where they sometimes have problems sealing water.

With my kits we use a specifically engineered silicone that seals water passages and acts as an adhesive.

Wires in the heads or block are not compatable with cometics or steel shims. They place the wire directly behind the fire ring with paper or graphite style gaskets to keep it from slipping out.

If you have been running one style of gasket on aluminum heads you must have them resurfaced before changing to a different style because all gaskets leave impressions in the aluminum.

The 1026 still exists and its made for use with the 14 bolt pattern blocks and aluminum heads. The interior fire ring is made of copper to compress when torqued as to not imprint on the head.

Originally posted by lazaris
The 1026 still exists and its made for use with the 14 bolt pattern blocks and aluminum heads. The interior fire ring is made of copper to compress when torqued as to not imprint on the head.

yes this is true, this also makes them significantly less durrable.

Not to start a debate

BUT in my kit that i recieved from RJC racing came a tube of

GE 1200 silicone.

SO whts up with that jason?
:confused:

he will just give him time, have patience grasshopper

Why the silicone

Is the GE 1200 an RTV hi temp ???? maybe its to coat bolts/studs that enter water passages? (just a guess)