Heat Shield

blacknight80

Hey guys this is on a sfi ha car but i thought you guys are in the same boat and I want your thoughts on protecting the hood from excess heat from the turbo. Is an aluminum plate enough to deflect it or should I be using a blanket and wrapping the down pipe? My dp hasn't been built yet but but it will be a stainless 3 inch and I don't want to cover it up and speed up corosion but if it helps lower under hood temps I would consider it. What's everyone else doing to control engine bay temps?

Thanks

The 84/85 Turbo V6 had a special hood pad with an aluminum heat shield. The earlier cars did not use a heat shield. The stock DP was double walled. I've been using an aftermarket DP with out any issues.

My car was missing the hood liner did the 78-83 cars have a nice molded pad or just the thick pad. I was wondering what the double wall pipe was for. I think I'll make a aluminum deflector for the hood.

The turbo hoodliner (pre-sfi) was the same as the non turbo car. There was a cut section that was pulled out on the turbo cars above the carb for the red/chrome elbow to fit into. I believe the Monte Carlos had a similar or identical hoodliner.