Hellacious squeal

TOOMANYTOYS

my 87 seems to have developed a real nasty chirping type of squeal. It's in one of the pullies cause the noise stopped when I took the fan belt off. It doesn't change pitch or tone it just gets faster when I rev the motor. It's loud enough to hear inside the car while driving whether the windows are up or down. It takes about a minute or two to start after the motor is running. I checked all the pullies and all are quiet and smooth when spun by hand. I took the alternator apart and lubed the bushings and took the tensioner apart and re packed the bearing with no change. The water pump is also new. Any suggestions?

Nastiest squeals I've heard come from power steering, but that's pretty straightforward to pinpoint or eliminate as the culprit.

my 87 seems to have developed a real nasty chirping type of squeal. It's in one of the pullies cause the noise stopped when I took the fan belt off. It doesn't change pitch or tone it just gets faster when I rev the motor. It's loud enough to hear inside the car while driving whether the windows are up or down. It takes about a minute or two to start after the motor is running. I checked all the pullies and all are quiet and smooth when spun by hand. I took the alternator apart and lubed the bushings and took the tensioner apart and re packed the bearing with no change. The water pump is also new. Any suggestions?
Do you have an AC delete bracket/pulley? When I did, it squealed like a stuck pig.

Although it don't work the a/c is still on the car. I don't think the p/s is making noise because nothing changes when I steer the wheels left and right

No, that's not what I meant. I'm talking about the AC delete pulley set-up.

But, who knows? It could be that too.

I had a similar problem on my '94 Olds Cutlass Convertible where I was unaware of (2) sizes of serpentine belts. I had the longer one (1"), the belt was tight but, not tight enough as the tensioner was at the end of its stroke. I installed the 1" shorter belt and the chirp went away.
With underdrive pulleys popular back in the day it was easy to get an incorrect length.
Just something else to check.

I have heard something similar to what you described in the past. It ended up being the reluctor wheel on the harmonic was lightly touching the front cover just above the oil pan.

How much preload does the tentioner have on it? If the belt is a smidge too long it can cause chirping.

I've got a new Gatorback belt 1/2" shorter than stock if you need one. It made my serpentine setup quiet.

Careful with too tight of a belt it can eat the alternator front bearing.

How much preload does the tentioner have on it? If the belt is a smidge too long it can cause chirping.

I've got a new Gatorback belt 1/2" shorter than stock if you need one. It made my serpentine setup quiet.
I keep a spare gatorback belt because I have a slight mis alignment of my pulleys. Ordered from 5 different stores and none of them got the exact belt I wanted. Goodyear gatorback. Got it on amazon for $12 bucks. (y)

I might take you up on that. I'll have to see if it is the problem this weekend

80% chance it tied to the belt tensioner or the belt itself ,after you squirt the water on it,and no changes, replace belt with that G/Y gator back if possible. Have you check your power steering fluid level when hot,also gently kinda move your power steering hose back an forward. Good luck on this problem.

I might take you up on that. I'll have to see if it is the problem this weekend

Here's a reference pic on my GN with
Photo1517a.jpg
the stock belt .vs the shorter belt...

You have to look close as this isn't a good pic, but notice the relationship of the belt with the SS A/C nut, then look at where it's at compared to the intercooler bracket wire.

Compare your car to this pic. if it's like the left side there's a good chance that's your noise.

Ok just checked the tensioner. The tensioner pulley is about 1/8" from the a/c pulley so it's obviously not placing the proper tension on the belt. I also sprayed a little water on the belt and the chirping stopped. It's kind of annoying as the belt was replaced when I did the water pump and only has about 25 miles on it. So anyway, what is the part number of the proper belt?

Ok just checked the tensioner. The tensioner pulley is about 1/8" from the a/c pulley so it's obviously not placing the proper tension on the belt. I also sprayed a little water on the belt and the chirping stopped. It's kind of annoying as the belt was replaced when I did the water pump and only has about 25 miles on it. So anyway, what is the part number of the proper belt?

It may be beneficial to take your belt to a parts store and have it measured, then get one 1/2" shorter.