HELP: need entire step by step change timing cover gasket procedure including sensors ...

78Regal

Hi everybody. Yes I have searched the forums with some basic information here and there. What the problem is is we thought we had a blown head gasket so we pulled the heads off or 87 Grand national come to find out was actually probably in intake leak. We put the heads back on, and noticed all the oil in the front of the motor and a bolt missing from the cover, so my father would like to take off the timing cover in her place the gasket and while he is a good mechanic the procedure to remove the cam sensor and put it back in and the crank sensor while the car is turned off with no power available because all the harnesses laying everywhere is alluding us does anybody have it direct link to the exact procedure how to do all this with no power. I guess you would call it mechanical setup. I did find some reference to use a voltmeter for the cam sensor but again people that do this all the time may have a link to the exact procedure even YouTube videos would help I did search I did find a 13-part series from one gentleman but the engine was not in the car and did not explain from the tear down to the replacement.

Theres an article on gnttype.org about setting the cam sensor.

Theres nothing difficult about removing the timing cover. Take out the cam sensor, take off the crank sensor, I would at least take the oil pan loose if not off, makes it easier to get the timing cover back on. Remove the bolts, the water pump can stay and take the cover off.

Consider changing the timing chain while you are in there. If you find chunks of your cam timing gear missing (it is partially plastic), they are in your oil pickup and that will need to be cleaned out as well.

Consider changing the timing chain while you are in there. If you find chunks of your cam timing gear missing (it is partially plastic), they are in your oil pickup and that will need to be cleaned out as well.

Yea, this. If youre there, you might as well do it.