Help needed for tuning speedpro

V

v6power

I just purchased my second GN, which is already set up with the speedpro system. The guy I bought it from has a program set up for his climate (much colder than mine). Where can I go to get help on how to use the system and where can I find a listing of "parameters" for tuning the car to my conditions. Any help would be appreciated.

The speed pro will compensate for warmer climates as you should be aware from the intake air temp sensor. Some individuals place this sensor after the intercooler, some place it prior to the intercooler and some place it in the engine compartment...

But it is possible to fine tune to your warmer climate, there are some individual cells that should be looked at:
between 30"hg and 5 psi of boost and 900 and 3000 rpms.
The other parameter is 15+ psi of boost and 5000 to 7000 rpms (WOT).

In the above two parameters, check you are not running overly rich.

Check that the air-intake and coolant sensor vs. fuel enrichment are not overly enrichening the fuel curves.

In the speedpro dashboard section or datalogging screen, the easiest method for checking rich/lean condition is the O2 sensor.

Also, note that I say "check" not "change" any programs.

And note that you should NOT change any fuel parameters in the base fuel map based on immediate fluctuations by either the ECU or the mV readings from the O2 sensor...You will drive yourself crazy trying to get exact A/F ratios. Instead, take in the data, take notes, perform changes then take notes again. Most likely you will change very little even though the car is an a different climate.

Hope that helps,

Originally posted by v6power
I just purchased my second GN, which is already set up with the speedpro system. The guy I bought it from has a program set up for his climate (much colder than mine). Where can I go to get help on how to use the system and where can I find a listing of "parameters" for tuning the car to my conditions. Any help would be appreciated.

Zed, thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to figure the system out. The problem is, I'm not sure what the values are suppose to be. The program currently in the car has the fuel volumetric efficiency numbers running from 20 to 85; the air/fuel ratio from 10.8 to 14.0; and the spark advance from 20.0 to 42.0. the dashboard as readouts for the "actual A/F; O/2 correction and MAP (PSIA). What range should these be in during an all out run?

Spark advance during WOT should be 20 degrees (the lowest value set that you have mentioned). Depending on your octane source you can go as high at 25 to 28 degrees ( 100% 116 octane) or as low as 17 degrees for some really pathetic 91 octane:(

At any rate, O/2 correction should be viewed with an eye towards how much +added fuel to reach the desired A/F ratio....that means your program should be close to the 10.8 range.

For beginners I do NOT recommend tuning leaner until you have enough experience with interpreting all the "critical" a/f parameters.

Originally posted by v6power
Zed, thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to figure the system out. The problem is, I'm not sure what the values are suppose to be. The program currently in the car has the fuel volumetric efficiency numbers running from 20 to 85; the air/fuel ratio from 10.8 to 14.0; and the spark advance from 20.0 to 42.0. the dashboard as readouts for the "actual A/F; O/2 correction and MAP (PSIA). What range should these be in during an all out run?

Try this manual out, I wrote it a while back. It includes some helpful stuff, but it doesn't tell you everything. If anyone has any info to add to the manual, let me know, I'll try to add it into the manual.

Unofficial F.A.S.T. Manual

Also you didn't say if you have problems before the car has a chance to warm up or after. Also The guy who designed the ECU told me to put the temp probe after the intercooler.

You can also purchase the Windows version of C-Com from your dealer. It has a bunch of online help stuff with it and it is only $25.

Troy and Craig, thanks for taking the time to respond and help me out. The manuel and attachments were a great help. Troy, its not that I'm having any problems (knock on wood), the car is running great with the Speed-Pro system. Trouble is I bought the car with the system already set up and I am trying to get a better grasp of how to use it. I haven't taken the car to the track yet and want to make sure the program already in it is the best available for the car and conditions. In other words, I don't have enough knowledge yet to be able to look at the tables and the readouts from the dashboard and fine tune the system. The program in the computer might be perfect, or might be able to be fine tuned or "tweaked". I can't tell by looking at the tables if the present program in the computer is "pushing the envelope" or is a safe "take it easy" setup. Anyway, I'm trying to learn and it is always nice to have fellow Buick "nuts" take the time to give a helping hand. TR