Help needed, loud screeching noise

SlickTR

Didn't even know what to call this thread but I need help guys, I'm at a loss. Motor just went back in, heads/roller cam setup, new converter....First fire up went smooth no issue, no weird noises, good oil pressure. After sitting running for a while I was adding some trans fluid and it makes this loud screech, and the engine dies. It sounds like metal on metal but I'm not entirely sure, it's loud as hell though. Immediate thought was that the motor siezed, so I put a socket on the crank pulley and the engine turns just fine.

I drained the oil and cut open the filter and nothing, both are clean, no glitter, shavings or junk. Pulled the plugs, took a look at each hole, they look good, compression check and that's good. Pulled the valve covers and all looks well. Pulled the inspection plate and the converter and flex plate looks fine. So I button it back up, fire it up and all is good, couple short drives and it doesn't do it again.

Thursday I take it for a longer drive, and it runs great, shifts good, no stumbles, good oil pressure and about 30 minutes into it I stop at a stop sign after exiting the highway and it happens again, loud ass screech, engine feels like it's drug down or somethings binding and it dies, I tried to restart it, fires up, runs fine for about 5 seconds and it does it again. I get it pushed into a gas station, pull the accessories belt off thinking maybe it's a pulley or accessory seizing up. I try again, does the same thing.

My buddy shows up and I try again, same result, he said it sounded low and behind the motor, like near the converter/trans. He grabs his trailer and we get it to the house, it's a couple hours later at this point, roll it off the trailer, it fires right up, no issue and I drive it into the garage. Fire it up the next morning, it's fine, as soon as I pull out of the driveway, does it again. I have no idea where to look or diagnose next, any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I thought about that too Nick, it's just seems so random I'm not sure when it will happen. I'll have to think through the best way to try to do that.

What Nick said, is the first thing that came to my mind. Especially with everything you have checked. I have seen a l/u valve fail and lock the converter at idle and kill the engine. I too suspect trans issue as it's random and no signs of any engine damage or debris.

Agree with Patrick. Converter is probably locking up

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input guys. I'll drop the pan and see if there is anything obvious. If not, I'm probably just pulling the converter, my bets on that. It's the new piece in the equation, I didnt have any problems with the trans before it got parked. I'll send it back in and have it checked out. I'll post back with what I find.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll drop the pan and see if there is anything obvious. If not, I'm probably just pulling the converter, my bets on that. It's the new piece in the equation, I didnt have any problems with the trans before it got parked. I'll send it back in and have it checked out. I'll post back with what I find.
The tcc should just stall it, no noise I would think. Normally tcc locking is not possible in 1st.

Quick update, I was finally able to pull the trans and converter and send the converter back to the vendor. Sounds like there was something loose, honestly don't remember exactly what was said, I'll try to get a better run down of what was found. Anyway, he's taking care of it. I'm hoping that was the issue. Once I get the car back together I'll report back.

Welp...not the converter, just took it for a longer drive and same thing happened.

Definitely heat related I think since it doesn't happen unless I drive the car for a while, more than 30 minutes it seems.

When it happens, it's when the car slows and comes back down to idle, driving at speed there is no sign of an issue, I slow and come to a stop and it makes the noise and dies, feels like something is binding/seizing. I let it cool completely down runs just fine.

Anything I'm missing, pretty sure it's not the engine, read my original post, I went through it and didn't find anything. But if there is something else I can check I will.

I suspect the trans, could this be a front pump issue? If it does it in Park the only thing moving in the trans is the front pump right? I do have spacers on the converter but the spacing I have should be good, I had slightly over 1/8 inch between converter flanges and flex plate with the washers in which I understand is good.

So you sent the converter out to be looked at but not the trans? Humm, sounds like it's the trans itself then. Think it would be worth your while to pull the trans and have it gone through. You don't want it to do any damage to the engine pushing on the crank.

So you sent the converter out to be looked at but not the trans? Humm, sounds like it's the trans itself then. Think it would be worth your while to pull the trans and have it gone through. You don't want it to do any damage to the engine pushing on the crank.

Shipping off the converter was easier and the vendor offered to go through it for free so I did that first. He did find that the adapter ring bolts were loose, but apparently was not the cause of my issue.

So you have to let it cool but what happens if you imidiately try to restart without the cool down? Binding sound or clunk ?