Help, shop/building insulation and interior wall question

LC2 ROD

The original LC2 ROD
Hello, I have an existing shop, pole building construction with metal siding and roof.
Between the metal siding and the gurts is a vapor barier/ insulation, approx R-5 sandwiched between plastic.
So here is the question, I am building 2 by 6 construction walls inside and want to add insulation.
If I put batted R-19 (fills the 6" wall) and put OSB interior wall over the insulation is the original R-5 at the metal siding going to cause a problem, moisture point?
I have been all over the internet and have info overload, so if you do this for a living please chime in.
Some things I read is to cut slices in the first inside layer of the orginal stuff before adding the new stuff. Some say it doesnt matter.
Also what side of the OSB goes to the inside, shinny coating or bare. (interior wall)
Any input from building experts would be very helpful.
Did I leave out some info?

I am no expert by any means but I did build my own garage and workshop without screwing anything up. Both are heavily insulated. Here's what I would do...

My instinct would be to be afraid of the plastic. I would want to take down all the metal walls and the R5... pull the plastic off the R5 and put it back up sans plastic... wrap the whole building in Tyvek... put the metal walls back up and get on with the interior insulated wall project.

What I would probably actually do is leave it as-is, put up the interior walls and figure I'll be fine since you're not likely to generate a lot of moisture in a shop. I would be sure to have a good roof vent, though.

FWIW.

"pull the plastic off the R5 and put it back up sans plastic... wrap the whole building in Tyvek"
Why would you take the plastic off, then turn around and put it back on in the form of Tyvek??

Rod, I'd continue on w/ your current plan...
As for the OSB, I would put the shiny side out, and then paint the inside white. I did this on the 2 shops I've built. It really enhances the liting of the work areas.
Both shops have the entire interiors done in OSB, including the ceilings.
The liting is hi efficiency, 8' flourescents..
The heat/air is via a heat pump. W/ good insulation, the electric bill is usually <$60/mo.!
Works for me.

"pull the plastic off the R5 and put it back up sans plastic... wrap the whole building in Tyvek"
Why would you take the plastic off, then turn around and put it back on in the form of Tyvek??

Tyvek breathes, plastic doesn't.

Hello, I have an existing shop, pole building construction with metal siding and roof.
Between the metal siding and the gurts is a vapor barier/ insulation, approx R-5 sandwiched between plastic.
So here is the question, I am building 2 by 6 construction walls inside and want to add insulation.
If I put batted R-19 (fills the 6" wall) and put OSB interior wall over the insulation is the original R-5 at the metal siding going to cause a problem, moisture point?
I have been all over the internet and have info overload, so if you do this for a living please chime in.
Some things I read is to cut slices in the first inside layer of the orginal stuff before adding the new stuff. Some say it doesnt matter.
Also what side of the OSB goes to the inside, shinny coating or bare. (interior wall)
Any input from building experts would be very helpful.
Did I leave out some info?

I am a metal roof contractor.We also install metal buildings. It sounds like you are making a room inside your building? Am i correct? You will be fine. The only thing you wouldnt want is wood touching the metal building. The metal sweats and over time it will rott out the wood. Think of a beer can how it sweats if it is colder than outside. If any more questions feel free to ask. Jason

I am a metal roof contractor.We also install metal buildings. It sounds like you are making a room inside your building? Am i correct? You will be fine. The only thing you wouldnt want is wood touching the metal building. The metal sweats and over time it will rott out the wood. Think of a beer can how it sweats if it is colder than outside. If any more questions feel free to ask. Jason

What Im doing is making a interior wall around the entire shop, 44' by 56'.
Looking to fill the 6" gap with insulation and cover with OSB.
Just making sure I dont cause moisture problems inside the wall.
Here is a pic.

Attachments

• 100_1872.jpg
    100_1872.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_1873.jpg
    100_1873.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 91
Either way...

I've done my OSB interior walls each way. It would seem to me that putting the printed side into the wall is better for a few reasons.

The printed side of the OSB has big pieces of wood laminated onto the panel which occasionally can peel off over time, despite double priming and several coats of paint. The other side is uniformly compressed, this leaves the ridges, however they won't peel out. I run those ridges vertically in hope of grabbing less dust on the wall. Also, those gaps on the other, printed side, have a greater tendency to grab even more dust and don't provide a completely uniform surface. As far as the shiny side requiring less paint for complete coverage, I've found it didn't really matter much, OSB soaks up a ton of paint anyway you go after it. I'll try to resize a couple pics later.

I'd consider simply slicing the plastic open on the inside of the outer insulation if you do anything. I'd think you could consider it a decent barrier either way but wouldn't remove the outer plastic because that will expose all the insulation to the sweat from the steel siding. I just ran plastic outside my girts, as I had no moisture barrier to begin with. I'll peel some siding back in a few years to see if it's been entirely successful.

Have you asked the guys @ garage journal?

The Garage Journal Board - Powered by vBulletin

Yes that will work. You framed it a little different usually you frame it with the studs being verticle 16" or 24" on center. You have the vinyl back insulation wich is good any moisture that gets in wont make it past that. DONT CUT SLITS IN THE VINYL. And as far as your OSB you can put it any way u want but the shiny side has a wax wich makes it a little more water resistant so it probably would be better to face it in towards insulation.