hot air guys, what do you do with your turbos?????

buickpower said:
Thats the info we needed, and thanks. Can you give some more details about adapting the larger turbos?

Mike

I assume you are talking about putting a larger turbo on hot air car, like a te 60 ar somthing right? (Basically anything that ISN'T a hot air housing)

My turbo really is basically equivelant to a TA60, but is in the hot air housing. I didn't have to do any modifications to get it to fit. I just posted some pics for you guys so you can see it.

I have a 3.8 buick turbo in a Beretta, so I am no stranger to a little bit of fabrication. But I have not actually had to put one of the other turbos on a t type myself, so I can't give you advice from a perspective of having first hand knowledge. This is a topic that has been discussed numerous times on this board though, and some of the discussions have been quite specific. There are a few guys that have used 44's & 49's. My best idea for you would to be to do a search for this topic and read all the threads. Then contact one of the people who has actually done this directly and try talking to them one on one. I do know that one approach people use is to cut off the end of the compressor output, and weld the hot iar adapter to the end of it. If you make this the right length, the turbo will be in basically the same spot. I'm not sure about throttle body issues though. I do know that the studs on the intercooled turbo where the throttle body mounts have a different orientation than the hotair turbo. You will need to make yourself some kind of adapter plate to keep the clocking of your throttle body where it should be. I know this for certain becasue I did a side by side comparison. When I was looking for a place to rebuild my turbo I considered using a intercooled turbo as a core, because I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get the kind of air flow I was looking for out of the hot air housings. So I have looked into this, but never actually done it myself. Hope that helps you some.

As far as having the hot air turbos modified, I sent mine to Precision. I am very happy with the work that was done. The quality and workmanship are excellent. The customer service also has been terrific. One of the builders, Tim, Personally spent over an hour on the phone with me on 2 separate occasions. I would have absolutely no hesitation in doing business with them again. In fact I would recommend them, and will do business with them in the future.

My best friend sent his hot air to Limit and had it turned into a TA33. Again, I saw it before and after the work was done. The quality of the product and workmanship was outstanding. They even ported the wastgate hole - and the entire exhast flange. Also, I don't believe I have ever seen anyone on this board have anything negative to say about Limit. Period.

I would say that if you are looking to have a turbo redone, that either of these places will deliver a product to you that you will be very happy with. That's been my experience anyway, hope that helps. If there's anything else, just ask.

fbodlovr said:
Yeah, thats a huge difference. And thats the stock turbo, just reworked? How much, and can you answer my other couple questions I had about it?

Yes, it is a stock turbo, but as far as I am concerned it is brand new! They machined the inside of the housings to accept the larger wheels, and I'm sure did some other stuff as well. I believe it cost me $785 to have it done. The exhaust housing will look slightly different to you. This turbo cam out of a T-Riv, so the wastegate hole is in a slightly different spot. Other than that, they are exactly the same turbo.

The turbo is supposed to flow between 840-850 cfm. "Theoretically" enough to support about 580 hp. And let me stress the "Theoretically" part. As far as 1/4 mile times, I have a 3.8 buick turbo motor in a front wheel drive 5 speed stick car that weighs about 3000 lbs with me and a 1/4 tank of gas in it. I also have a very built engine with a big roller cam etc, So I can't really tell you what to expect with the same thing in your car. I like to try and keep my contributions to the board limited to the things that I am fairly certain/confident to be true.

FWD, thanks for the info again. I realize that there have been threads about the changeover, but I can't get the search to work. I just wanted to know because it was asked about earlier in the thread and I had never paid close attention to those threads about it before. I personally don't plan on upgrading soon, but who knows I may in the future. Thanks again.

Mike

I have run 13.8 with the stock turbo, injectors, heads, and intake. This is with a not so great 60' and the computer was pulling about 5* of timing.

Currently I have a set of GN1 heads and a ported intake, along with the stock turbo and injectors, on the car and have run a best of 13.7 with both headgaskets leaking = 11# of boost.

I do not know where I will go from here, I am debating in racing TFS next year, if so, the iron heads will go back in. Of course they will be heavily ported. I may just keep the GN1s on and see how far the stock injectors and turbo will go.

HTH.

buickpower said:
FWD, thanks for the info again. I realize that there have been threads about the changeover, but I can't get the search to work. I just wanted to know because it was asked about earlier in the thread and I had never paid close attention to those threads about it before. I personally don't plan on upgrading soon, but who knows I may in the future. Thanks again.

Mike

No problem, I'm glad I could help. You might want to try sending a pm to highboost. If you notice his first post he's got a 44 mounted in the stock location. Try asking him exactly what has to be done.

fbodlovr - Take a look at 85_TR's sig. He has run mid 12's with a TA33 and spearco intercooler kit. So it can definitely be done. If you look around the board, you see some people running some spectacular times with very small mods, and others running rather unimpressive times with lots of mods. I'm really starting to believe that having everything in your set up be "right" and perfectly tuned is the secret to making these cars fast. The bigger turbo's etc just make it easier. Is it Eddie Brewer that is running 11's in an intercooled car with a meth injection kit? Still has stock turbo, heads, cam etc. Keep poking around, experimenting, and asking questions. I built my car to make me happy. Eventually, the right way for you to do things will become apparent.

I apologize to Buickpower if that's not what you meant. My particular build took a lot of time and research to come up with what we did. And I shouldn't have been offended by your remark that it's not typical, because basically it's not. Again I apologize. Sorry to have jumped the gun so to speak. I defend anyone with the idea to take one of these cars to their fullest potential and generally try to help not hinder newbies. Sorry again fellas. I just spent a whole weekend telling people I didnt relocate my turbo they actually made it that way. Now on to why this site exists.

As far as turbos go, you are really limited these days unless something comes up. The ones that were the biggest so to speak for our cars can't be made at least not by John Craig. (the seal that is needed is no longer made, unless you find someone willing to do this, because of our turbo set up in order to go larger you need the seal. Being were kinda of ass backwards to an intercooled turbo) But you can still get a stocker pretty stuffed. Maybe someday some one else will be able to make one. But with our set ups being 20 years old the technology has left us behind. However I might have a lead on a place locally willing to do something. But then that's going to mean $$$$. I know John used to stuff them pretty reasonable.

fbodlovr said:
And spearco doesnt make the kit anymore, do they?
No they don't but you could always research that show that did this on the History channel that company supposedly would make an intercooler for the hot airs. I don't have the companys name but I bet someone does. And if done right this would be a intercooler set up you could use. Just a thought.

On the subject of the search feature is anyone getting this to work???

turbo6x2 said:

On the subject of the search feature is anyone getting this to work???

It seems to work just fine for me, I always use the advanced search and have never had a problem with it.

Regardind the search feature. It's been hit and miss on this end since this last upgrade. ( only use the advance search) Try typing just turbo once and see what happens. I get can't find the page and that's it, Might just be over loading it.

Just re read your post to my post. I don't point out that I'm a woman to get any sort of recognition, I do it more of a joke since the headings always are Hey Guys or what do you guys do. I guess that was taken wrong. Seriously I don't care and if that's a beef I won't mention it again.