HOT ROD magaizine, no respect for Grand Nationals

LMFAO....I'm so offended and butthurt now!:D:D

Actually thats a pretty clean example, most of the ones I see now are all beat to shit. I'd drive it!
Me too, I would drive the shit out of it.

As a matter of fact I bought and sold one a couple years ago, still a fun car when they are in good shape.

I think everybody misunderstood. They are not talking about Grand National cars.
"These full framed Monte SS and Grand National, like, cars are still widely available.
The attribute is that these cars accept most any GM engine. "Once thought of as grandma's car".
I think they are saying you could pick up a Regal and put a big powerful motor in it.

I agree, that was my impression. You can see this over on GBodyForum.com. People put all kinds of GM motors and trannies in all kinds of G-bodies, all lines and configurations of big blocks and small blocks. Even the Caddy 500. It's almost like the G-body has become a kind of American VW bug for people to take apart and put back together, but with the extra dimension of virtually unlimited power in a wide variety of motors (not to mention several very distinctive body styles).

The big rage is the LS. GM recently had a supercharged LS build CARB-certified, fer cryin' out, expressly for "pre-OBDII" vehicles (which G-bodies are of course).

They aren't putting the GN down. All this cryin' in the beer. Methinks thou doest protest too much! :D

I'm not married so I needed something else to bitch about...

I don't talk politics and I never get into a debate about religion, so cars and other opinions are open target, but I am trying to learn a lot on this site so I pick and choose my spots to interject my opinions.

Mags like Hot Rod are more a "lifestyle" brand, and primarily focus on the west coast aspect of hot rodding. While there are quite a few Turbo Buicks scattered across SoCal, they're not as popular out there as say, the Midwest or on the east coast.

In SoCal (as in all of California) all Turbo Buicks will remain under smog control forever. Therefore to drive one on the street legally, it must be stock. This is because stock is all there is that has ever been CARB-certified. There are no aftermarket parts for these motors that have ever been CARB-certified. Compare this with the SBC situation. I'm not aware of any other state in the nation that presents this particular problem for the Buick owner to confront.

What's wrong with the Century hatchback? Could be had with the same turbo engine as the regal. Better looking than a mcss aerocoupe imo.

Still just outdated print sensationalism. One foot in the grave. When was the last time you read a hard copy of a mag or newspaper. The only mags I crack are old issues I come across when searching through my hoardings.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

people seriously actually like the looks of those things? i used it as an example of the fugliest version of the G body to make a point... guess i'll have to try harder..

how about this one:

001.jpg

it's basically the same as a GN, except for a few drivetrain and suspension pieces..

and i owned one once...

I guess I like homely. I also like angular and boxey, and woody, even though it is decals. Very cool!
Jelly bean cars have no place in my driveway.

Let me throw this way off topic. I really like this.
2618DSF-111.jpg

Boxey and woodgrain, oh yeah!
I have crazy taste.

And I like 25 year old boxey Buicks with a turbo veesix. Crazy huh?

Well since the reading comprehension of our members has been questioned how about the intellectual honesty of the rag men. :rolleyes:

Yeah talk all day about granny cars for 16 year old kids then show a pic. of a turbo hooded car with GN badges, yeah stuff a V8 in that and go slower. :p

There are plenty of V8 Limiteds out there they could photo with a flat hood and two tone paint with vinly roof and an AARP sticker and wire rim hubcaps right? ;)

Now that's a real Jeep..... left turn..... o_O

I know I can take it off topic in a hurry.
It is funny how this jumped to ten pages right quick.
Those of us with the comprehension issues, I'm ok with that.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Well since the reading comprehension of our members has been questioned how about the intellectual honesty of the rag men. :rolleyes:

Yeah talk all day about granny cars for 16 year old kids then show a pic. of a turbo hooded car with GN badges, yeah stuff a V8 in that and go slower. :p

There are plenty of V8 Limiteds out there they could photo with a flat hood and two tone paint with vinly roof and an AARP sticker and wire rim hubcaps right? ;)

You sir, get it!

I almost bought a '79 Sport Coupe once. It had those wire hub caps, and that red velour upholstery on those split bench seats. Wasn't a granny had it, but an old bird in his eighties with a heart condition, who took me for a wild spin in it with the parking brake on the whole way. I kept trying to tell him about it, but he was hard of hearing. In the end I just couldn't close the deal.

turbo hoods used to be all over in junkyards around here cheap for some reason... a friend of mine put one on his 82 Regal that had the NA 231 in it.. they were more common for the 78-80 cars, but it wasn't strange to run into one on a newer car.

Plenty of V8's in the Junyards as well, not so many cars with GN badges on them however. :rolleyes:

They're the faster granny and 16 year old kids cars doncha know? o_O

turbo hoods used to be all over in junkyards around here cheap for some reason... a friend of mine put one on his 82 Regal that had the NA 231 in it.. they were more common for the 78-80 cars, but it wasn't strange to run into one on a newer car.

Yeah that's cause buick turbocharged like 60,000 cars from 78-80, and you never see any of those cars anymore. A nice one of those is probably a lot harder to find now than a nice lc2 powered car. I bet they were in every jy and every circle track for about a 15 year span lol.

I finally read the article in question and I don't know why everyones panties are in a bunch over it. They weren't talking about turbo buicks they just used one for a reference pic. A g body is a damn good budget beater, and in 81 you COULD get a diesel and most states exempt those vins from smog testing.

It's funny to me the technology used in these cars in the 80s is now used in all production cars now SFI was pretty uncommon at the time, turbo charging has just recently become popular in modern production cars.
I'm a car guy that has a passion for TRs but I appreciate all cars Domestic Imports Eurotrash a nice car is a nice car.