How long did it take to get your motor built?

webleyaz

Damn, that was fast!
Mine's been in the machine shop for over a year. WTF?
It's just a stock block 4.1. The crank and rods have been there for ever. They ordered the pistons a month ago and received them last week. Now they ordered the gaskets to bolt the torque plates on. I guess one part at a time?

When I had by 6.6 liter motor for my TA built, turn around time was a little more then a week, the GN took about a year to get it together (lack of funding on my part) and my current engine almost 5 months but its 90% together

Over a year here. After the lost girdle hardware, CRACKING MY GIRDLE, overboring the cylinders, making my 4.1 junk, took 6 months to place the order for my pistons. I now have it in a great machine shop that got on it right away, now I'm in the process of getting my girdle replaced and it should be running in a month or two.

when i was building the 350 for my el camino it took about 4 months, but it was also my first motor, and i had the funding issue also...

i am building my friend a 350 LT1, we ripped it appart about 2 months ago, and we have yet to start building it..:eek:

-neil

My stage motor took over a year. My experience is to be frank with these guys and get a time from them. IMHO performance is also part of the price. You should not have to wait a year to get things done. I also had a order 1 part at a time experience. Hopefully they did the job right and it runs good.

Just got my motor back a few days ago. Took about 6-8 weeks. I'm happy with it so far. Engine builder was waiting to get a few other cars completed so he could work exclusively on mine. Went pretty quick once he got to mine, like 2 weeks maybe. He still had to work on other peoples' stuff as it came in, though, or else he might lose their business in the future. But I would be raising hell if it were 1 year!

I've had several LC2 rebuilds. Most times I was told "about 2 weeks" which in mechanic years comes out to 2 months or more.

[:)

Three years an still on the stand. From the problems at S&S turbo Regal to the shut down of Turbomotion, everthing has gone wrong. We are now converting over to an 86/87 set up and have just sold our new ATR SS hot air headers. Just found out the machine shop screwed up the oil galley plugs by tapping them too deep, not sure what to do about that yet. I got pissed off and bought a 97 T/A WS6, I will start back on the GN this summer.

INTERCOOLER: I did finally install the crank that I got from you 3 years ago into the block. I told you I was not in a hurry ;)

I knew I wasn't the only one. I can understand a delay or two waiting for a part to be in but ordering all the necessary parts at the same time would make all the delays simultaneous. Pushrods have to be ordered after the whole thing is assembled. I'm OK with that.

I average about 2 months unless i have a problem and need to wait for something.:) Frank

Alot of it just depends on how busy the machine shop is and how many employees they have. Now-a-days it seems to be pretty hard to find quality guys to work in the engine machining trade. Once the machine work is done the assembly usually comes together pretty quickly.

K.

The first time: 2 1/2 months. Result: 2500 miles.
The second time: 2 weeks. Result: 8000 miles and still going.

The first one was Britco Machine in Chehalis Wa. and I wouldn't take my lawnmower engine to them. No reliability.

The second one was Evergreen Engines in Spokane Wa. and I trust them with all my work now.